Internet stops working after awhile

Discussion in 'Software' started by rooney, Jul 7, 2006.

1. rooney

rooney Private E-2

So I posted this in the networking forum as well and got no replies. Figured it couldn't hurt to post in this forum since it's more popular.

Ok, so I have this really annoying problem. My internet stops working after I'm using it for some time. Sometimes it works fine for 3 hours then stops. Sometimes just 20 minutes. I can't load any pages, sign on to messenger programs or anything. But if I restart my computer it will work just fine again. But doing this is EXTREMELY annoying. I believe it's something with my computer and not the actual connection because my roommates' connections are fine. The network connection says that it is still connected. I tried a repair, but that didn't work. Any ideas on what can be causing this? Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Is this an onboard nic, or expansion nic? Have you updated the drivers for said nic.

When the networking goes down, can you ping the gateway? Can you ping www.majorgeeks.com

What about the IP, do you still have one via, ipconfig?

All this can be accomplished via: START, RUN, cmd (or command (9x)).

3. rooney

rooney Private E-2

I believe I've tried pinging websites before (I've had this problem for a few months now) and it didn't work. Next time it stops working i will check ipconfig. About the nic, I have no idea what that is?

4. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Hi I posted a reply in the other forum suggesting an AV check and spyware check and perhaps a tidy up of the Temporary Internet Files.

Matt

Perhaps one of the mods could tidy up the multiple threads

5. rooney

rooney Private E-2

Thanks for the response. I already have adaware, zonealarm, and another antivirus program. My current cache size is 200mb. I will increase it and see what happens.

6. rooney

rooney Private E-2

Ok so when I try to ping websites, the request times out. ipconfig still looks good. I have a new development though. I just recently moved and had internet hooked up about 3 days ago. Don't know if it's related, but restarting my computer no longer restores my connection. Now it just seems to be totally random. Can someone PLEASE save me from this misery???

7. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

HI!
    Have you contacted your ISP's Tech Support?
    That's what they're there for....to help you with connection problems.
    They can 'walk' you through the necessary steps and checks to find a solution.
    :)
    I have had help a few times and unless I'm just lucky...it all ends very well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds