Internet will not work with Ethernet Cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spock96, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Hey Guys,
    Another friend of mine is having almost the same problem as I posted in this thread:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=242901
    BUT, I know for a fact the the Ethernet cable works she plugged it into her laptop and it connected.
    There was a storm the other day and when they returned home their computer was off. (Not sure if this has anything to do with this problem or not.)

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

If the USB ports are not damage, you can try a USB wifi dongle. Also cheap at around $40.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You might also boot from a Linux CD just to see if it connects which would tell you if it is indeed HW rather than a problem with Windows.

Does the port/board light up with the cable connected?

5. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

I would check to see if the network card has an ip address.
    enter "ipconfig" from a command prompt.

You could also try pinging the network card if it fails the network card may have a problem.
    enter "ping 127.0.0.1" from a command prompt

You could try a usb to ethernet adapter to determine if the network card has been damaged.

6. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Thanks guys,
    Haven't had contact with my friend so I don't know when/if I can post back

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds