Internet Working in Safe Mode Only

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LegacyWeapon, Jun 7, 2006.

1. LegacyWeapon

LegacyWeapon Private E-2

I'm pretty sure this has happened to me before and somehow it'd always fix itself (reboot many times and messing with startup programs/services) but I'd really like to how to fix it specifically.

I'm like 99% sure I don't have any spyware because I used to run the Microsoft AntiSpyware everyday and now I have Microsoft Defender or something that also has some sort of scanner (which I use everyday).

What happens is I connect to my router and get an IP address and all the other information is correct. I try to connect to any server and it doesn't work. I try to connect to my router and it doesn't work. Ping doesn't work on anything either. However, when I try to connect to other computers connected to the router, it works! Other computers on the same router connect to the internet.

So now I'm running Safe Mode with Networking to get online. This seems to be the only temporary solution I have. I have tried searching Google and fail to find a solution.

I remember that last time it happened was when I disconnected everything and plugged it all back in and this time I actually rebuilt my computer (from my old parts because my power supply broke). Perhaps this may be something to do with it?

Thanks for your help and sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I'm relatively new here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2006
  2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Open MSCONFIG and uncheck everything in the Startup tab. Then go to the Services tab and check the box that says “Hide all Microsoft services” and restart the computer.

That way you are ONLY running Windows and device drivers. It can be tedious task actually finding the problem. Basically you re-check one disabled application or service and restart the computer until the symptoms return. When they do, you’ve found the cause.

If the symptoms persist with a clean boot then the source of the problem must be either with Windows or a device driver. Since you’ve already discovered that booting to Safe Mode eliminates the problem we can rule out a Windows problem; therefore the problem MUST be a driver, since drivers do not load in Safe Mode.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds