Invalid Partition Table: Trying to dual boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by WarKirby, Oct 26, 2010.

1. WarKirby

WarKirby Private First Class

Hi folks.

Until this morning, I was running a PC with Ubuntu 10.04 only.
    I'm now trying to install windows xp on a seperate disk so I can dual-boot. However it appears to be failing horribly.

After installation, the new windows install will not boot. Typical "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"
    However, ,my Ubuntu installation will no longer boot either, with the error "Invalid Partition Table"
    I'm guessing I've messed up the master boot record, but how to fix it?

My Disk setup is roughly like this:

Disk 1: 750 GB
    • Partition 1: 40 GB (Ubuntu and GRUB are installed here)
    • Partition 2: 40 GB (This is a swap space partition right now)
    • Partition 3: 670 GB (Data and games, contains no OS)

Disk 2: 450 GB
    • Partition 1: 450 GB (Windows XP is installed here)

Any advice?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You have indeed overwritten your boot sector by trying to install Windows after Linux, but all isn't lost by any means. If you are prepared to consider a non-Microsoft boot manager then have a read HERE. Grub4DOS will enable you to get the dual boot you want without having to undo anything you have done so far and will add significant new boot capability too.
    If, having read it, you would like to give it a go then I'll be around regularly should you need any help.

3. Earthling

just an afterthought ... if you reset or override the BIOS boot order so that it boots from the second hard disk, does Windows boot?

4. WarKirby

That's exactly what I've tried, to get the disk boot failure with windows.

Will try grub4dos

5. WarKirby

I'm looking t creating an iso image of grub4dos, this looks rather overly complex. Is there a simpler method ?

6. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

You might want to try this. Your version of Ubuntu has GRUB2 which does a good job of detecting other operating systems.

But, this is not a noob project.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

7. WarKirby

I gave this a try, but the installation failed with an error about blocking lists. It recommended running with --force which I tried, and it said "installed without errors" but the operating systems still will not boot from disk

8. Earthling

Not always easy to judge a poster's level of knowledge. I think your best option would be to install Windows on the main disk and then either install Linux on another partition or on the second disk. The dual boot will then establish itself. It just doesn't work if you install Linux first, though Grub4DOS would certainly sort it.

9. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I haven't used grub in a couple of years and no longer remember how to fix it manually.

I'm curious if Rescatux works? It is mentioned at the end of the article Earthling linked you to. It is a large download for a two minute test but might be worth a try. Website here: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

Maybe try it with the Windows HD unplugged. Once you get back into Linux you can worry about linking to Windows.

I will agree with Earthling that installing Windows first and then Linux is ideal. But if you have invested some time in your current linux installation and have things set the way you like it may be worth the time to try to repair things.

10. WarKirby

Rescatux looks promising, I'm going to give it a try.

If that doesn't work then I'll reinstall linux tonight. I don't have too much to save in this linux install. It would be a couple hours of annoyance to put it all back together, nothing irreplaceable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds