Invisible on a Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheCapt, Feb 5, 2006.

1. TheCapt

TheCapt Private E-2

Hello, I'm just wondering how to be invisable, or close to it, on a wireless network. I'm not sure how any of this works, but I want to be able to shop/ look at certain websites while at school, without being tracked...I figure, it's my laptop, I can do what I choose, as long as it is not illegal. I just want my IP and all that be be hidden from the network, is this possible? Thanks....Jon

:EDIT: forgot to mention, I am looking at this product, Steganos Internet Anonym 2006...think it will work?

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I've not used the program you mention but i suspect it is much the same as the anonamizer(I probably spelled that wrong) program. It is essentially just a proxy server that hides who and where you are but only hides it from the sites you visit. A Proxy setup like that would be unable to hide you from the wireless access point you are connected to. I'm not aware of anything that can do that. Even if you hack a WEP or clone a MAC address to gain access they will still be able to detect that your there.

3. Orbital57

Orbital57 Private First Class

Although you can do what you like on your laptop you cannot do whatever you like on the schools network. I imagine you signed up to a user policy when you jouned the network and I don't think you will find much help here breaking that.

On a more positive note though, there are plenty of interet anonomizers out there (which as stated above are generally proxy based). They won't work, you connect to your local network and then to the internet, think of it like a path -

PC -> Local network -> Internet

With anonomiser -

PC -> Local Network -> Proxy -> Internet

The anonomiser then just makes sure that people on the internet see their address rather than yours. It doesn't make you invisable.

4. Pro Ken

Pro Ken Private E-2

Steganos ip hider is only 15 bucks when bought alone. If you are running vista and have either steganos or anonymizer you can go stealth with your ip, AND you must have Windows live one care on your machine also, this has a special wi-fi security feature that will hide or scramble the wi fi (and potential key logger in the router) to where you should be safe. Hth.

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to MGs :)

This is a 3 year old thread. Please look at the date before responding to a thread.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds