IOBit SmartDefrag 4.01

Discussion in 'Software' started by radardr, Oct 23, 2007.

1. radardr

radardr Private E-2

Installed SmartDefrag 4.01 on an XPsp2 machine and ran it with no problems. When I rebooted the machine the fun began. All of my startup items where gone. Zone Alarm, AVG, and other things that normally start did not. I had to reload them to get them back. I discovered today that MS Help and Support on the start menu does not work. It tells me that the service is not running and that I should start the help and support service. For the life of me I can't find that service even with the system admin tools.

Anyone else had problems with IOBit? Know how to fix help and support?

Thanks

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

For Help and Support service go to:Control Panel>if it's classic view look for Administrative tools,if not Performance and Maintenance>Services,and you will find the service there.Tip: try to uninstall defrag to see what will happen.

4. radardr

radardr Private E-2

Already tried looking for Help and Support service in the Admin Tools. It's not there. I think the IOBit defrag deleted it. I uninstalled defrag using the uninstall that came with the program and it seemed to go away with out a problem.

Any other suggestions on how to get Help and Support back running?

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

6. radardr

radardr Private E-2

OK I went to this site and loaded the registery update and then ran the program from that site to fix help and support. Now the service is running and when I click on Help and Support nothing happens I get a momentary hour glass and then nothing.

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try a reboot.

Steve

8. radardr

radardr Private E-2

Sorry should have said that in the last post. I take rebooting as a given whenever anything is done to windows. So after reboot no change I get a momentary hour glass but no help and support and no error messages.

Bruce

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

10. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

11. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

I hope that's the one that fixes it. ;)

Steve

12. radardr

radardr Private E-2

Got it fixed. Found this web site
    http://wiki.DjLizard.net/Dial-a-fix which has a utility that fixes a number of problems. It allowed me to reload help and support which seemed to fix the problem.

Thanks for all of your help.

Bruce

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds