Ip, Mac Address's, and Host names

Discussion in 'Software' started by CattBoy, Jan 28, 2007.

1. CattBoy

CattBoy Private E-2

Hey all, so here is the new predicament i am in...(Skip to point 1: if you do not want to read the back-story)

To start, i am studying abroad in the U.K. but their damn dorm campus has all these guidelines in place about internet usage saying blah blah you get 500 mbs a day..... MAX Upload and Download combined. So myself being a greedy person i am can NOT live with 500 a day, I can piss 500mbs, who has a stupid cap like that? So after much thought and discussion with my college roommate we developed a theory of using other peoples bandwidth so that i will have my 500 mbs, their 500 mbs (considering they didn't use it all, having a bandwidth monitor on the campus's site i can check how much i have left/used), and pretty much just getting rid of this ridiculous cap in general. So after doing research into mac address's, how their network actually is setup and such I have ran into a few problems on the way.

1: How do I change my Hostname to nothing, IE: let it be blank so there is no way of the site admin's tracking any sort of thing back to me. Check the picture included to see what I mean.

[​IMG]

I am using a program to scan my network http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/ and cross check to find out once people have gone offline (it will tell me) so then I can change my mac address to theirs and it auto changes my ip to theres (when registering for the internet on this campus you give them your mac address and thats how they monitor your bandwidth usage)....but under HostName it says the name of my computer with it seems to be the domain name following. How can i get rid of the hostname all together (otherwise they could put things together if I just run around with the same hostname on different mac address's)

2: I tried changing things in my registry by simply deleting the name
    (At key; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Hostname "And" NV Hostname), but then I get disconnected from the internet and was unable to revert the changes unless I used a system restore point to change things back (thankfully I made a restore point before changing any of these settings)

3: I am running XP Home, if any other specs are needed just let me know.

If anyone has any other ideas on how the current situation please feel free to comment, any help is great!

Thanks in advance,

~Catt

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

1.Your hostname is your computername. You can't have networking with a blank computer name.

2. You probably agreed to a certain TOS when registering for internet access on that campus. Trying to hide from them by spoofing your Mac address and so forth is almost certainly within violation, and we can't really help you with that. We are all about helping/ empowering others to fix their problems, and enhance their knowledge, not hide from "the man."

Sorry :(

3. CattBoy

CattBoy Private E-2

Oh Fooy ;0 Well in that case mind recommending a traffic limiting program that will like for example. cut off my intnernet when i use around 400mbs that way i wont get kicked off, thanks for the help tho :)

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds