Iphone crash, lost Contacts, can I recover?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bullseye, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullseye

bullseye Private E-2

I was running 3.1.2 on my Iphone 2g. It crashed and the restore from Itunes ended up getting corrupted. I've lost all my contacts and life would be much easier if I could find them somewhere?

I have an external HD attached to my computer backing up my system weekly. In addition, I kept my old computer's HD and have that hooked up to my computer.

Itunes, Iphone, Windows, etc. MUST have made some kind of backup file SOMEWHERE over the last couple of years that has my contacts directly or indirectly, I hope?

I just have no idea what to look for or where to look for it? Any suggestions?

Also, my SIM card contains SOME of my contacts basic info, (name and cell only). That info was on the SIM from another phone that I no longer have. Is there any way to read the SIM card using the Iphone attached via USB to the computer?

Thanks in advance.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Bullseye

Sorry its a late reply as I not been on the forum much in past month and did miss this post of yours, so if you have fixed this then great, but if not then see if the below helps

If the iTunes backup file in its default location was corrupted then as you mention you have a backup of Windows weekly then depending on what your backup app was or what type of backup it was, see if you can find this location, depending on Windows version

On Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

On Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

I know my full Image backups of Windows are a clone of my HDD so its just like navigating a normal install of Windows to find a location, but if your backup app backed up the USER folder then you should have that location, maybe a hidden one so unhide files (Tools > Folder Options > View)

When you find the backup folder copy it to the same location on your C drive, then from iTunes try a Restore From Backup again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds