Iphone to Laptop for Internet Use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kimandtiberius, Aug 26, 2009.

1. kimandtiberius

kimandtiberius Private E-2

I have an IPhone - (just got and am still teaching myself) and am going to move into an apartment w/out cable, sattelite or WiFi, but have access through my IPhone to the internet. Is there any way to set my laptop up through my IPhone to get a connection? For the gurus, I'm certain this is a stupid Q, but in my "world", I'm trying to track down more economical ways to spend my money and time! Thanks so much in advance; this is my 1st post - hopefully it's clear and concise.:) Kim

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

yes there is actually. Its called tethering which isnt necessarily available yet without jailbreaking your iphone 3g 3.0 software. ive never done it though, i just know its possible.

i believe this is against ATT's user agreement though...

3. kimandtiberius

Thanks for the information - I probably won't look into it though, as I'm not living with the Callaway superhuman IT man anymore and I'd never figure it out! 2nd Q - are you even able to connect the IPhone to your laptop so you can see the images on a larger screen? K

4. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Of course. your phone should have came with a usb cable that is also used to charge it. just hook it to your computer, and it will see it as a digital camera. open it up and youll be able to browse for pictures.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  5. kimandtiberius

Thanks much - I suspect that I'll only be able to get the pics from it, correct? - Not be able to manage the phone, texts, contacts, etc. ?? Thanks!:wave

6. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

7. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

yes, you have to use itunes to sync everything & download fron it

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Teathering is only available via your phone provider, while the new upgrade software allows teathering, its only activated and at some point chargable from your provider, so as Steve says check with your provider, I know in the UK mine in O2 does but at an extra cost per month to my bill.

You can transfer any pic you take from within windows as the iPhone adds itself as a mass driver HDD, so that you can from within my computer or computer (depending on Windows version) as a portable device as in my iPhone below

[​IMG]

9. kimandtiberius

Thanks to you two - Halo, I have now been researching the "tethering" from my cell phone carrier, and it appears as if this is the way to go. I'm not horribly computer literate, so I'm having trouble setting up the new connection to the IPhone, but I certainly CAN read :) so I hope to get further information from the websites. I just have a bit more to go and then I'll hopefully get this working; I understand that it may be slower than my WiFi Ihave, but at least I won't hae to type Microsoft Word files through my IPhone.

Thanks very much for the start here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds