IPOD connection=blue screen mentions BIOS update???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elisetimpe, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Elisetimpe

Elisetimpe Private E-2

My husband just bought an IPOD nano (latest version 10-09). He has been trying to get his computer to recognize it & work. Finally, I started trying. The steps I took are now a jumble...at one point, the IPOD displayed a "connected" screen (he was excited-first time it did that:confused), then went to the menu screen. During this time, the computer was rebooting into a circle of choices: safemode, safemode with internet, regular mode, last working mode (rephrased). I tried the last working and arrived back, so I tried the last working & arrived back & tried safemode with internet and got there.

I decided to try restoring it to a few days ago. It did. IPOD plugged in wasn't recognized. I installed CCleaner & ran it since he'd installed and reinstalled itunes a few times (plugged in, not plugged in...).

Anyway, I booted up into a Norton ("did this work for you") screen involving Error: "3035,6" after you install a Norton 2009 product + an error message about ContactSyncPrg.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging services..Exeption that could not be handled..after ignoring it, I tried "cancel" in order to debug & it said that a Registered JIT debugger is not available. After looking around for that for a while, I rebooted & dismissed those 2 screens, started up itunes. All ok. Then I plugged in the ipod and got a blue screen mentioning shut down to prevent damage, If driver specified, disable or update...check with hardware vendor for BIOS updates...beginning dump of physical memory.

At that point, I pushed button to turn off, disconnected ipod, turned back on, dismissed the ContactSync...error, then the Norton error(which came up first the last several times when I thought I fixed it), then after not finding results for ContactSyncPrg.exe & moving on, I found how to do the run-msinfo32 & found that the BIOS is "Award BIOS for Intel GC11010N.86A.0311.2006.0420.1525.4/20/2006 2.3" running on my husband's XP home edition 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3.

After googling that, I arrived at the Intel website with multiple download choices & after having read WARNINGS about fooling with BIOS, decided to contact you.
    HELP! Now what?:(

2. Elisetimpe

Elisetimpe Private E-2

Hi. I see nobody has an answer yet.
    Sorry to sound so scatterbrained, but I'd been working on it for a few hours & needed to leave, so I tried to condense everything I tried.
    I have no formal computer training, but have more luck than many at making things work. The steps I took lead me to believe that the ContactSyncPrg.exe may be a key to the solution since ipods "sync" information, but I don't "feel" that it would cause a computer to "blue screen".

However, from what I've found on the internet, it appears that an outdated BIOS might be able to cause this. The BIOS name mentions the year 2006. The ipod has come a long way in that time, so I'm guessing that I might be on to something.

Since my understanding of BIOS sketchy: software for a motherboard...a motherboard is the computer's brain???, could someone with more knowledge possibly give me their opinion as to whether they think I'm on the right track &, if so, how to update the BIOS?

3. Elisetimpe

Elisetimpe Private E-2

Update.
    My husband went on & uninstalled itunes, then plugged in the ipod. It was recognized in "My Computer" & appears to function as any USB storage does.
    The ContactSyncPrg.exe is related to his appraisal software & Norton error has occured before, a fix was applied and worked & it's back.
    Apparently, the problem is with itunes.
    Thanks for the consideration

4. pervnerve

pervnerve Private First Class

Sorry to see no one replied to you. I see you've solved the issue, but I'll fill in the blanks as best I can.

The motherboard is like the skeleton of the computer, with all the lines (buses) running between the parts like blood vessels. The CPU is the brain of the computer. The BIOS is the part of the motherboard that gets everything started. It checks for all the necessary parts of the computer (hard drive, memory, keyboard, etc) and then launches the operating system, Windows.

Flashing the BIOS, as you mentioned you might do, comes with extreme risks. If the flash gets interrupted for ANY reason, the motherboard will fail to power on and in most cases will need to be replaced. It is a last resort.

The iPod doubles as a hard drive (or flash drive, as with the Nano). Therefore, when you boot with it, BIOS will often treat it as though it were another hard drive on the computer. I know my computer will not boot when the iPod is connected because its hard drive is locked.

iTunes will automatically try to sync up your contacts with Outlook if configured that way, which I'm assuming is the purpose of that ContactSyncPrg.exe program. Have you run into any problems with Office? Do you use Outlook?

5. Elisetimpe

Elisetimpe Private E-2

Thank you Pervnerve. I have a clearer picture now. Since it's my husband's computer & his business computer (since he works from our home), I'm sure I'll pass from flashing the BIOS.

Update for anyone with similar problem...
    My husband was on tech support with itunes/ipod. They went through all the steps already taken & were reaching dead ends. At one point, the tech needed to talk to his superior & my husband asked him to call back on a different phone.

While waiting for the callback (which never came), my husband went into the device manager & decided to try updating the usb ports. One was fine, so he went to the next one. Voila! Everything worked perfectly! The ipod no longer brought up the blue screen in itunes, his new ipod showed up and he's off and running.:wave

6. Elisetimpe

Elisetimpe Private E-2

I just noticed that I didn't answer your question.
    I have an hp pavillion dv4 laptop running vista home. My husband just gave me an ipod (which spurred his purchase). Mine works fine.

I use Outlook 2003 & just discovered how to sync my contacts and calendar: click on your ipod in itunes. That will bring up a screen showing how much space you used/have left & some other things. Near the top of the screen there are tabs lined up horizontally. Click on the "Contacts" tab, check off the appropriate boxes & click the confirmation button on the lower right (it says "apply" or "sync" or something to that effect). In a few minutes or seconds, you'll have contact info on everyone you ever knew at your fingertips (in case you forgot how to get them into your phone).

As to other problems with Outlook & Office, as a Realtor, I've used Outlook, Publisher & Excel for years. Outlook has presented various obstacles to overcome from time to time like not sending email, but I've worked through them & am still learning new features & customizations I didn't know about.

Have a great day!

7. pervnerve

pervnerve Private First Class

Glad everything's working for you. And you, too! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds