iPod dock causes problems with external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Allochthonous, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

Last night at the same time that I docked my iPod (connected to my PC via USB on a new off-brand dock), I received a “Delayed Write” warning on the file $Mft on my Seagate FreeAgent 250 USB external hard drive that I keep connected to my PC at all times for additional storage.

I am assuming that the two events were related, as 1) I have never had any issues before I connected the dock to my PC (its been connected for about 3 months straight now) and 2) the dock also tends to freak out my USB scanner when the iPod is connected. I had to unplug and reconnect the scanner to wake it up.

I Googled $Mft and learned that this is the NTFS file table. That would explain why I was able to browse the root of the external drive, but not find any files with the folders in the root.

I shut down and unplugged the iPod dock, returning my PC to its previous state. Upon reboot, everything appeared normal with the external and continues to look fine since then.

Is there any way to find out for sure that the events were related and the dock was the culprit? Could anything on the external have been damaged permanently? I use this drive for backups and to store larger files, so its stability is important to me.

I figure I will do a disc scan later this evening. Should I move off the data and reformat the drive?

PK

2. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

Edit: I checked the Event Log, and at about the same time (some seconds before, some after the popup) as all of this there are a BUNCH of Warnings "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
    "

They stopped for a while after I rebooted, but I see a few more in the log today. What drive is this?? It sounds like my main hard drive!

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

How many internal HDs do you have as main one is normally Harddisk0?

Have you tried the dock without the external drive or scanner ( or combination of both) plugged in? does it work fine.

Have you tried the dock in a different USB port?

I just have a suspision that the USB dock it just tipping your USB power requirement over the max, thus giving errors ( especially as it upsets your scanner, which I would imagine is USB also), With the ex HD just plugged in and no dock, its working fine I presume, with a dock it errors, is this dock self powered or taking it power from USB of the PC?

4. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

Just one internal HDD. I thought that this would be "0", but was confused as to why Windows was trying to write a page file to the external.

I gave up on the dock. Its not worth the hassle. I got it on sale for $8.

I am just worried about the integrity of my hard drives.

I know that my system is precariously close to its max as far as power goes, but i would not think that it is so close that an iPod dock would throw it over the edge, esp when the scanner and Seagate external have thier own power source.

I am running Seatools on the external right now and will also do so on the internal.

btw, i got another of the errors at 5:39 (30 minutes ago).

PK

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds