[Irfanview] Is it possible to create custom image lists?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shuriken UK, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Shuriken UK

Shuriken UK Private First Class

Hi, its my first day LOL! Anyway after that long introduction, I wondered if anybody knew of a way to create custom lists of images (or playlists, groups etc) within Irfanview and without renaming or editing any image files if that makes sense.

For example, say I have a folder with hundreds of photos from over the years (which I do!) and rather than flicking through them 1 by 1 using the mouse wheel, I wanted to only flick through specific ones (such as skylines, family pics, cars etc etc) which I added to a kind of 'playlist' file. The only ways I can think of right now involve renaming or moving files, which I dont want to do, I only want to create temporary groups of images which I can flick through at my leasure.

I'm pretty bad at explaining problems, but hopefully this makes sense! So does anybody know of a way I can do this in Irfanview? Googling for about half an hour didn't turn up anything. I did a quick search here too, but nothing was related to this specifically.

Thanks! ;)

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

What you want to do is not going to be easy, probably not possible. The only person who might have a solution is the author of IrfanView. Here'e a link to IrfanView's Homepage.

http://www.irfanview.com/

I suggest you email him.

3. Shuriken UK

Ah man, I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that... If he's anything like some other solo or independent devs I'll never even get a reply because he's too tied up between his work & projects to reply to emails.

Thanks for the advice though, I'll give it a shot, its gotta be worth a try, but I probably shouldn't hold my breath!

4. Eldon

Here's a thought...

I use XnView which is very similar to IrfanView. Sorting images, I have 17 different options, including comment/description. Unfortunately, that means I will have to add a comment or description to every image. Look if IrfanView has that option. Also, you might have the option to do this for a batch of files.

PS I'm not suggesting you switch to XnView.

5. Shuriken UK

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm open to all options so I'll give XnView a try. The only reason I've been using Irfanview for so long is because (up until now) its done everything I needed and I've just grown used to it.

Batch files would be the perfect way to go if that works. I've used them briefly before to make custom console commands in games which trigger mutliple native commands at once (so nothing really useful, but I'm guessing the principle is the same?). As for the sorting options in Irfan, they seem quite limited compared to what your program has (I only have name, date, extension & size!). I see what you mean about the hassle of adding a comment to every pic! Keywords would really useful...

I noticed a feature in Irfan called "multi-page" images, this might be what I need, unless its purely related to printing big images across multiple pages.

Cheers! :)

6. Eldon

A Multi-Page is a PDF or other file containing all the images. XnView gives you 6 different file types.

Attached Files:

7. Shuriken UK

Once again XnView has more options, so now it seems like a no-brainer.

Irfan only has 4 multipage filetypes:

-TIF (results in HUGE filesize unless you recompress containing images)
    -PDF
    -JPM (requires registration to remove huge watermark, but nice 'as you'd expect' filesizes)
    -LDF (doesn't even work)

Time to get XnView!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds