IRQL Not Less Or Equal?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DOM2, Jan 6, 2007.

1. DOM2

DOM2 Private E-2

Hello,

I have been getting the Blue Screen Of Death with the message 'IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL', almost every time I quit 'Internet Explorer'. It never happens when I am not online using desktop programs and games etc. It seems to have started when I installed a broadband router via ethernet cable. I'm guessing it must be a driver or IRQ conflict, but I'm not sure. I have recently replaced the memory with new ram, but that hasn't solved it. I am about to install a wireless router to see if that can solve the problem, but I would greatly appreciate any help with this annoying problem.

Regards

DOM2

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

What file does the error reference when it does it? That's the first clue.

3. DOM2

DOM2 Private E-2

I get the Stop message

0x00000007A (0x00000014, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804f02A2)

and dumping of Physical memory

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

There's no name of a file? something.sys?

5. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

The 0x0....7A is generally something to do with the hard drive or its controller drivers.

Have a look here for more information

6. DOM2

DOM2 Private E-2

I couldn't find much from the link you provided, but have noticed during a defrag of the hard drive, that there was a RAID ACCESS FAILURE. Would this be related? It only seems to happen when I quit Internet Explorer after a couple of hours or more.

7. Andyman_perth

Andyman_perth Private E-2

Hi All,

I've been lurking in numerous threads now for the past week trying to find a solution to by IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop error and I found an unorthodox solution to my problem which I would like to share.

Problem: I keep getting the annoying BSOD, IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL stop error on the girlfriends laptop when I try to add it to my home network via CAT5. Upon plugging in an ethernet cable I immediatly got the BSOD. The laptop would also BSOD at windows startup if booted with cable plugged in.

Hardware: Toshiba Portege 2000 with XP Pro, all stock hardware. Have succesfully networked laptop before.

Initial Remedies tried: 1) Update networking drivers
    2) Un-installed ALL networking drivers and let Windows find them again
    3) Rolled back the drivers
    4) Found that several devices share IRQ 11 so I tried update/rollback/uninstall on those devices as well.
    5) I moved the DSL modem usb connection from my computer to the laptop usb. Same problem

I thought the NIC was faulty by this stage untill out of intrest I tried SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and networking was working! The NIC therefore works. Since it BSOD upon windows startup there must be some service/app that starts with windows that is causing the conflict.

Ran MSCONFIG and found a massive amount of apps in STARTUP. Many of these I did not recognise and am suspicious. I removed everything non-critical from STARTUP and SERVICES and am now re-enabling services as required. I used the following articles for reference;

MSCONFIG Overview: http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

STARTUP apps list http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

The laptop now networks fine (in normal mode) and also boots much quicker without all that usless crap weighing it down. I definetly recommend tuning with MSCONFIG once in a while, you may be suprised with what you find :)

Andyman

8. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Msconfig is a great tool. Especially to remove those pesky programs that think they don't need your permission to attach themselves to the system startup. The less startup apps, the better.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds