Irritating boot message

Discussion in 'Software' started by zznerd, Feb 12, 2003.

1. zznerd

zznerd Private E-2

After the startup sequence, I get a popup dialog window telling me that Windows has found
    NVIDIA nForce MCP Network Adapter
    and that Windows can search for and install the sofware for the hardware etc. All this is no surprise given the MoBo I have (NVIDIA nForce MCP Network Adapter with Onboard-LAN Integrated 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet bundled on board).

But I am running a simple dialup connection and I don't WANT to install the driver for the network card. Does anyone know how I may disable this dialogue box, so that I don't have to deal with it on every startup?

CPU = AMD XP1800+
    MOTHERBOARD = ASUS A7N266-VM
    RAM = 256Mb PC2100 DDR
    HEATSINK = generic
    CPU Cooling Fan Socket A, 370 1.3+1
    OS = Win ME
    POWER SUPPLY = ATX-MT- 300Watt
    NVIDIA nForce MCP Network Adapter
    Onboard-LAN Integrated 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
    VIDEO CARD = ONBOARD-AGP2Integrated 3D AGP Video 1
    SOUND CARD = ONBOARD-SUAC-97 3D Audio Controller 1
    CASE = generic Chinese import
    USB=USB 1, PCI card, 4 ports (2 back, 2 front)
    OEM SYSTEM = X Technology custom configuration
    Modem=Lamaqq (Smart Link) v 90 external USB connected

2. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

The NForce2 boards rock!!

As for the on-board LAN. I do believe you can disable the LAN in the BIOS. This will stop it appearing in Windows, and therefore no request for drivers. (My Apogee NForce2 has the BIOS setting, not sure about the Asus - My setting is either Auto or Disabled)

The other option, would be to simply install the drivers for it, and leave it blank. It wont harm the PC or the mobo, just will save having to re-enable the BIOS and then install drivers if you ever want to network your PC or go Broadband.

3. mutz_nutz_uk

One other quick thought - Find the cash to get two matched DDR Ram sticks - put them in slots 1 and 3.

The NForce2 Dual Chanel memory thing is fast!!! Very fast!!!!

4. mutz_nutz_uk

Oh yeah.

Welcome to MajorGeeks.

(Sorry, need the extra posts ;) )

5. zznerd

zznerd Private E-2

OK mutz_nutz (and thanks for the welcome) I fell off my white horse and ran the cfg for the board. It dawned on me that with a little tinkering I can work around to the most minimum and not have that skanky Microsux "My Network" icon shoved onto MY desktop. I ran a port check on Gibson and don't seem to be any more vulnerable than before.

But hey, I've got another 256 stick of Kingston DDR I haven't yet plugged in. How do I know it matches the 256 my builder installed? Do I just plug them 1 & 3 like you suggested and see what ensues. Advice, please.

6. mutz_nutz_uk

Matching sticks is better (They then match for CAS latency etc) but I presently have two different sticks in (One generic, one Kingston)

If you read any of the reviews on NForce2 boards, you will find that using slots 1 & 3 (You should find 2 slots together, and one slightly set away) improves the performance by a whole load.

Not sure of the figures, but it improved my PCMark Memory bench test by nearly 100 points after the first run! (Before I had even tweaked anything!) and that is after removing a 128Mb stick from my system.

Well worth the try.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds