Irritating Error Message

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheDuality, Mar 20, 2008.

1. TheDuality

TheDuality Private E-2

Just a quick question guys (not a show stopper, but irritating nonetheless).

All of a sudden, I have started to get error messages when clicking links in E-mail (in the Windows Live Mail program) and on the start menu (for example, the Windows Live Home link in the start menu (after installing WLM)).

The error message states that "Windows cannot find [link url], please check you have typed the path correctly and try again" - and then the link opens in firefox in the background! All quite perplexing, particularly as it doesn't happen when IE is the default browser, or if a browser is already open in the background.

This is all on Vista SP1 by the way, hope someone out there has fixed this problem before :p

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I just wonder if this is an issue that Firefox needs to address in a new update for FF, to take into account SP1? If it worked before with clicking a link in WLM and FF opening.

I just tried this as I have Minefield ( FF3 beta ) installed and set it to default over IE, and a link for WLM worked fine.

One thought is set IE as default then reboot and uninstall FF ( do save all your Ff favs and settings ), then do a cleanup using CCleaner, Cleaner and Registry, then re-install latest FF and reset to default.

BTW you do have upto date WLM? Version is 12.0.1606

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds