Is F@H having issues with servers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DavidGP, Feb 7, 2010.

1. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Is F@H having issues with their server uploads of work units this weekend as one PC I have thats running f@h has been stuck with the message "number of work units completed 66" for the past 24hrs.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'll assume you're running a normal Systray client and that you fold a WU quicker than 24 hrs. Can you post the log by rht-clicking the systray >log> and C&P it here wrapped in code tags and I'll take a look at it for you.

BTW, I'm having no issues but then I use the advanced clients. You may like to bookmark Stanford's list of server status.

3. DavidGP

Hi Augie.

Guess looking at the log its doing something and I guess that me shutting down my PC lastnight didnt help!

here is log attached, cheers.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  4. augiedoggie

Ya, turning PC off doesn't help at all.:-D There's nothing wrong with your log.:) If you ever want to get your i7 properly folding, just holler. :drool

JungleBill eh?:-D

BTW, I just checked your stats and for the points that you are producing you are wasting your electricity if you're running that rig 24/7.:(

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  5. DavidGP

Hi Augie

No its not running 24/7, dont these days run my PCs 24/7.

Yeah on name its from a music track from Yello, use that as an alternative user name.

Cheers for the advice and looking at the log, guess I just need to leave PC on until its finished what its doing.

6. augiedoggie

OK then, you fold when you're on that PC, that's good enough.:)

7. DavidGP

Yep so could be 2hrs or 10hrs depends on how long I leave it switched on, can be 24hrs if I downloading loads of huge files, but thats normally when OS betas are around.

8. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Stanford was/is updating servers and since you don't run 24/7 you may have had an old link to database.
    Also you could go to the folding folder and there should be a previous log file to review.

http://folding.typepad.com/

9. DavidGP

Cheers lbmest my friend, yeah was reading that on their forum earlier on the server updates, cheers for link.

Just seems to be talking ages to write the last WU, been 8hrs and only upto 51% at present, older logs show this done much quicker.

10. augiedoggie

LOL, so many updates, so little time.:-D Ya, Stanford's been going through a lot of changes these last two weeks, especially with SMP2 being released which is the eventual replacement for VM folding on at least an OC'd Q6600s@2.7GHz quads which is giving me the same PPD with the bonus now as it was on a VM running Ubuntu. The faster procs will really get much better results, esp. i7s because of the bonus for the shorter deadlines met.:)

Oops, sorry Halo as this is probably all gibberish to you.;) I'll continue this elsewhere.:)

11. DavidGP

Cheers guys all looks back to normal now, must be the server updates.

Yah think!

Must check out the clients for i7s one day.

12. augiedoggie

roflmao !!! Sorry Halo, that got me going!;):-D Yup on checking because right now the big bonus points are gotten with an i7 920 D0 or better OC'd @ 3.4GHz. Also it's all beta ATM which of course means some TLC is needed and 24/7 folding ATM.

I believe you don't want to fart around with that yet.;) We'll be here if'n you do.:) (Esp. when I get my i7.:drool)

13. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Little Hijack -

Watch out augie. Done got my 920 C0 to 3.36 Ghz.
    Cut about 9 minutes per frame on the a2's compared to the standard clock of 2.67Ghz.:p
    Seriously looking at that Corsair H50 for my cpu as temps are mid 70's now.

End Hijack

14. augiedoggie

/augie continues hijack

Aah, you must mean the -bigadv ones then.:)

/end hijack

15. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Yeppers on the -bigadv. (Sorry Halo I'll stop now.:-D At least the hijack)

16. DavidGP

So is a 920 C0/C1 ok?

No guys, fine continue as never know I may learn something.

17. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Everything I have read on overclocking the 920 indicates the D0 stepping can achieve a higher stable overclock as opposed to the C0. But that might only be a difference of 200 or 400 mhz. Anyway with folding, you can't be on the ragged edge of overclocking. Any instability will trash the WU and waste everybody's time.
    At the price of a 920 I've got a 965 performance-wise plus a little and might have to spend $80 to get the temps down so I'm to the good about $600.

18. augiedoggie

Weeelll, it all depends on who is answering the question, a regular or an uber folder. You have an excellent machine there Halo and will give you great points as is, I'm only talking from the 'uber folding nut' end.;)

I don't recall what GPU you have in that machine but that would be your best bet to get the maximum points with the least amount of pain.:) Just for example, I can easily get 7K points per day from my GTX260 video card whereas my quad will only give maximum half that and with a lot more hassle like running a virtual Ubuntu machine running the appropriate client.

I think the standard GPU client is the way to go until you get comfortable with folding and add a monitoring app to see how things are going. It all depends on how much sweat equity you are willing to invest as one can go from a 'Set it and forget it' type mode to the 'uber nut' mode.:-D Of course, the points increase with the same hardware but different beta software and 24/7 operation to get the max points.

Whatever you wish, tell us what you are willing to do and we can then recommend something for you.:)

19. DavidGP

Hi Augie

Not the uber nut folder sadly these days, may have been back in the day of United Devices folding for Cancer, anthrax etc but just run it in the background now.

Nvidia 8800GTS 640mb, does for now until I get the urge to get a new one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds