Is going to a MSI FX5900ST 128mb a good idea?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jrodgamer, Aug 25, 2004.

1. jrodgamer

jrodgamer Private E-2

Right now i have a

AMD XP2700+
    Gigabyte GA7N400 Pro2 MOBO
    1GB dual DDR
    MSI FX5600 256mb VIVO
    80 Samsung HDD
    LG CD/RW
    LG 8X DVD/RW
    Audigy 2 24bit Sound Card
    Thermaltake XaserV Damier V5000A Tower

and i was wondering if it is a good idea to jump to the MSI FX5900 XT 128MB card. I want more power. and that card isnt too much money. Will i see a difference in peformance. Like in Doom 3, FarCry, for example? Also, some people say that the XTs in NVIDIA are a down step although in Radeon, XT is a good thing. Any answers would be great. Thanks

Jrod

2. jrodgamer

jrodgamer Private E-2

man i feel dumb, in the title, i mean FX5900XT with an X

Jrod

3. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Will it give you a decent increase in performance?

Yeah, probably.

Is it worth the price?

IMO, probably not. I'd wait for the mainstream versions of the new generations of cards (Geforce 6600 and Radeon X600??), or wait till the 6800/X800 come down in price.

4. jrodgamer

jrodgamer Private E-2

Thanks for the info, but id like to keep the cost down. As much as id like to get a 6600 or something similar, i dont think that i want to spend $400+ on my video card. Prob the biggest concern is, that is there that big of a change from the 5900xt to the 5900?

5. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

IF you want somthing now i believe you will get a good increase in performance from the XT for the money; the 5600 lacks ultrashadows and some other goodies that next gen games like D3, HL2, etc... the 5900xt is a watered down version of the 5900/5900U but you can seriously overclock it if you wish to do so to 5900U. Generally the 9800Pro from ATI outbenchmarks the 5900xt by a good margin (if you dont like to overclock)so you might want to go ATI for your money. I wouldn't recommend x600/6600 since they are mainstream market cards and you want performance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds