Is Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andymc35, Aug 27, 2011.

1. andymc35

andymc35 Private E-2

Hi guys,

I was currently all set to buy this PC http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.212-3243.aspx until today a friend at work said that AMD processors were terrible. For some reason, I thought the AMD Athlon II X4 640 would be better than an i3 processor, but he said and i3 would be the better choice. I'd also get a staff discount on the PC (which is tempting).

I couldn't find much feedback on the nVIDIA MCP61P graphics card online, but I'm only a casual gamer (Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty, The Sims 3).

Any feedback on the processor and graphics would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

They are both good CPU's though I haven't seen any head to head comparisons. The nVIDIA MCP61P is the motherboard's chipset and not the video card itself. Someone else should have better info.

3. andymc35

andymc35 Private E-2

Re: Good Deal?

Thanks for reply. I've taken a look on HP's site and they've said
    but to be honest, just browsing around other forums it doesn't seem to be the best graphics card.

Back to looking around :(

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Re: Good Deal?

Ya, the G405 seems to suck especially since there's only seven primary hits in google. How much money are you willing to spend?

Power supplies sold with pre-built machines are usually on the anemic side, make sure the PSU can power the video card that you want. Ask your boss what's included if you want more power. You might even impress him/her after you get your bearings here.;)

5. andymc35

andymc35 Private E-2

Was ideally hoping to spend around £500 (£600 including a monitor). It might be worth just custom building one online. Thanks for the help.

6. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

You might want a look at this. Its i5 chip is comparable. Its base speed is a little lower but it has 6mb cache verses 2mb on the phenom. Additionally the turbo boost feature will mean that it prob runs faster thatn the phenom under load (I assume you mean phenom not Athlon). As for graphics, Im not sure what it has as the spec is a bit flakey but given that they start from £350 on the HP website, and it has a reasonable high speced CPU for the range I would speculate that it is not using the Intel Integrated GPU. I suspect it is prob the gforce 405. Plus it is £50 cheaper than the one you linked to. Just get clarrification over the spec before you buy

In general terms with the budget you are looking at you will get better value with prebuilt. You wont really get a decent rig with software for under £500. Dell also have some really good gear, reasonably priced and their support is excellent.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds