Is IE really potentially dangerous for me?

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Oct 8, 2004.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

This is a basic, please explain to me, question: How is it that IE is so vulnerable to the baddies? Is it through web sites I might call up? Is it just because I have IE operating? Is it something else? I have all sorts of firewall, virus, adware, spyware protection. I'm not a bigtime web surfer; I problably only go to maybe 30 or 40 different websites, and I would think all of them are legitiimate sites. I actually like Avant better than Firefox, but right now I'm using Firefox because I have become frightened about IE. Is IE really that potentially dangerous for me? Thanks.

2. redskydawning

redskydawning Private E-2

The following is simply my opinion. Surely some will disagree. That is the way it should be...without other's opinions a person would stagnate and learn nothing new :)

I have used IE sinced it's conception. I have never had a virus of any kind or any real malware such as a keylogger, etc. In fact, years of keeping my AV up to date has even pretty much been a waste of time for me (although I will keep doing so). I have never been alerted to a virus on my machine. I do get a few tracking cookies but I always flush my cookies on a daily basis which pretty much renders them useless. A malware (give4free) was recently installed on my computer when it piggybacked in on a program I downloaded. That event was even my fault as the user agreement warned me it would be installed but like many other users I tend to skip over reading them ;) I do use Spybot, Adaware, and Spyware Blaster. Once again, they do advise and delete a few tracking cookies but that has been all.

I am behind a NAT router (which I consider a good investment and my main line of defense) but have just lately given up on even using Zone Alarm. I realize that does away with outgoing protection of programs trying to access the internet, but I sorta figger if a malware is doing that I am already infected anyway. It is then that I would simply format my hard drive and do a clean install (I find that to be rather fun to do ever so often <big laugh> ) I don't do my banking online or anything else of much importance for that matter. In fact, all I have been doing for years is running scared and spending my days keeping "anti-this" and "anti-that" up to date :)

Like you, I only use 30-40 sites on a regular basis. I have raised the security level to high in IE and placed my used sites in the trusted zone. It works for me and now I spend my days going for walks in the woods with my grandchildren instead of spending my days in a state of paranoia. Life is so much better now :)

Thanks for listening...have a good day.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Although IE is easier to hijack and compromise than other browsers, if you keep up your current habits, you shouldn't have any major problems.

4. mal1930

mal1930 Private First Class

HI, You seem well guarded so you should be safe. IE is targeted because it has the biggest number of users. Using a lesser know browser is there fore safer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds