Is It Cold In Here?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mztopaz, Nov 12, 2004.

1. mztopaz

mztopaz Private E-2

Does any one know why my computer is freezing up. The last time I tried to log off after running internet sweeper, I kept getting "program is not responding". I eventually got on this forum by typing in the address because it would freeze when I clicked on favorites and again when I hit start for microsoft word. I know have pieces of the start menu and the task manager just stuck in limbo.

mztopaz

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Can you restore from last saved point. Can you uninstall anything recently installed? A regular cleanup is a good idea. Drive cleaner, uninstall unused programs, do a defrag. If you do not know how to do any of this, please ask.

The best bet to diagnose a problem is to look back at what changed when the problem started. Having worked as a computer tech and talked to many of them, people repeatedly swear they added and did nothing, but usually remember after we tell them what we did to fix it :)

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

System specifications would be handy as well. W98, XP, or what? How much RAM? What Firewall and Anti-Virus program do you use? Are they up to date?

etc., etc., etc. Bazza

4. mztopaz

mztopaz Private E-2

Yeah, everything is up to date: mcafee firewall & virus, ad-aware, spybot, spy sweeper (recent install), spyware blaster, snoop free..recent, unsucsessfull installation and can't delete the files.

Does it look like I'm a bit paranoid?

I'm running Windows XP. I'll get back to you on the ram. Microsoft just sent info on an update for office 2000 from an error message sent, could that be it? I think I can get help with a defrag and general clean. I'll do that and get back to you. I really appreciate the expertise guys, Thanks. You have alot of traffic, this site is great! Have a good weekend.

mztopaz

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

As MA advised, Can you restore from last saved point?

Also, as per MA. "look back at what changed when the problem started". Your update from M$ might be the problem. Have you carried out their reply?

These 3 will help clean out crap on your PC. probably not related to your problem, but will certainly help keep PC lean and mean.

Cleanup! http://www.stevengould.org/
    EmpTemp http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1575
    and CrapCleaner aka CCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4191

All 3 are free. Run all 3 after every net session. Bazza

===

6. mztopaz

mztopaz Private E-2

I did a system restore to last saved point and everything works great! Thanks guys you've been great!
    mztopaz

7. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Yeah but don't forget to find out what caused the problem in the first place. You are half way home - but the cause still needs to be eliminated - else it will likely re-occur
    Cheers
    Robert

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds