Is it normal for Win 7 to offer inferior game performance compared to winXP?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Goat.Cheese, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Goat.Cheese

Goat.Cheese Private E-2

A little more than a month ago, I finally decided to jump on the win 7 bandwagon, since most people i know were raving about the OS, and I had friends with weaker Pc's than mine say, win 7 did them a world of good.

Well then I either, messed up something major, or XP 32bit is simply better for gaming purposes, because at 4gb RAM, amd phenom II 3.1ghz dual-core and GeForce 9600 GT, I had absolutely no issues running circa 2009 and above games, such as dragon age and mass effect series on their highest graphic settings, pretty much without a trace of a missed frame.

However on the win7 ultimate 32bit ( 32 because i heard it has better compatibility), there is a really noticeable difference. The FPS took a plunge down something serious.
    And something really weird - Using high res re-textures for said games doesnt seem to affect the FPS at all. Its hardly affected even when I get in big sparkly scenarios where everyone is flashing their fanciest attack animation.

But all in all, the FPS remains rather bad, and im genuinely stumped that my legacy OS seems to come out on top.

I installed win 7 32bit on a completely formatted computer - nothing from the XP installation remained, precisely because i feared redundant and old files would hit the PC's performance. So apparently its not that.

My only other inkling as to what may cause this are wrong drivers. Since i had lost my driver discs that came with my rig, upon a friend's recommendation, I trusted a program called Driver Genius to find and install what i needed. Since i figure that from all the existing manufacturers, it would be nigh impossible for a program to pinpoint with 100% precision the needed drivers, maybe a driver that does not belong on my computer has been installed.

I ran uniblue's driver scanner, but it yielded pretty similar results, only listing some mouse-related driver, i didnt know i need as "ancient"

Anyway If any of you tech-savvy people could look into the everest report and tell me if i got the correct drivers installed, I would at least know if this is the issue.

http://www.2shared.com/document/l9VmqvZt/Report.html

Otherwise, ridiculous as it sounds, I may downgrade to XP.

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Windows 7 has issues With DX 11 that is way it has shotty FPS.

Windows Xp has much better FPS then Windows 7 does be cause Windows Xp use's DX 9.0c.Witch i must say is much better then the DX 11.

I would rather have higher FPS then Better Graphics.

Any body can say any thing they like but windows xp is much better at user friendly then windows 7 or 8 or vista.

I have spent time on windows 7 the setup is all most like windows xp but has higher detailed graphics like vista.User Friendly option whent away with vista and windows 7.

It is a little more complacated and problematic.

That is my opinion.

Any body can say what they want but it is the truth and you know it.:p

And if your playing online games i would recommend going into there ingame settings and go to there Graphics options then look for the DX 9 mode.That is what i do with Star trek online.I get much better performence onDX9 then with DX11.

3. m.chris912

m.chris912 Private E-2

i will go with windows 7 as i didn't get any serious issue with it... Whenever i install windows xp it got corrupted in two to three days while windows 7 is working perfectly. O ya i agree that windows xp is more user friendly but i would say windows 7 is latest and with great updated features so i like this personally am using this from about a year and its working great. I am happy to have it as i like its features its graphics and everything...

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
  4. Goat.Cheese

Goat.Cheese Private E-2

Well as far as "great graphics" go - I wouldnt say win 7 has me stumped or anything. The OS' layout is more refined, but where games are concerned - the detail level is pretty much the same on both OS's, Majorly depending on your graphic settings.
    If DX11 is indeed whats causing the shotty FPS, is there any way i can instruct windows 7 to use the DX9c version instead?

I suppose that win7's greater resource consumption may playa part as well.

Corrupted how? you mean catching malware and viruses? Because Ive been using XP for a long time and ive never had any virus problems, granted that i dont go around visiting random sites.

As a last note - Is there an edit button, or Ill just have to get the grammar right on the first try?

5. Goldenskull

Well then you must have not been using the Xp properly i can go a year with out any virus or malware or corrupted issues.Even if i do get an issue it is normally a easy fix.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Can you show any proof windows seven has worse dx 11 performance, thats more of a what can your video card support then windows version.

7. Goldenskull

I have seen it when it was first new the DX 11 had issues with lots of games.

You know it had issues.

And may be it still does have issues with some games.

They Fixed a lot of errors and issues with DX 11 but they still have not fixed them all DX11 is still a work in progress.

And i do not need proof.

The Proof is all ready out there.

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Yes, you do in THIS forum. And responding with other silly comments like "I never get infected" is of no help. I am only telling you this once.

9. Major Attitude

Each operating system in order will typically use more memory and processes, this is true but your lacking some information including:

What games are you playing? Newest games are going to be a problem regardless of XP or 7 because the requirements go up.
    Your video card, sound card and motherboard OR update with SlimDrivers and we can skip all of that: http://www.majorgeeks.com/SlimDrivers_d6737.html

Good chance 4 gigs is a little light for 7. Also, the 9600 video card is also an old card as gaming cards goes. I see both as a problem if you want to play games and that before we get to your older dual core processer when most are up to 8 cores and faster chips. So if you are trying to play newer games, you will continually run into problems.

10. Goldenskull

Was just trying to get my point a cross.Some people like to fight.I dont like to_Off topic.

And i all so agree on {MA} that the GeForce 9600 GT is farely a old card it will cause lags on higher end games that require lot's of Graphic's and FPS.

Any newer game that is out will most likely require a 1GB card or better.

11. Goat.Cheese

Goat.Cheese Private E-2

Well, this isnt neccessarily regarding newer games. For example Mass effect 3 was released 06.03.2012 and i have slightly noticeably less FPS, whereas Dragon Age was released november 2009, and im currently experiencing a substantial loss in frames.

And both games sometimes freeze for around 2-3 seconds if i press ESC to skip the first line in a dialog scene.

All this considering that both games were running almost flawlessly at their highest settings on an XP installation.

I did a search regarding DX11 incompatibility, and as it turns out the GeForce 9600 Gt does not support it.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/281254-15-does-9600gt-supports-directx

"p1n3apqlexpr3ss

9600GT doesnt support hardware dx11, but it will support software dx11 using w7 as the OS "

Soo im guessing that until I upgrade, i should revert back to XP, or...?

12. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Theres no blanket way to force it to render in dx9, but some video games inside there graphics options will allow you to switch back to dx9. Or depending on the game there might be a command line launch option, like -dx9 that you can use, but you would have probably have to google each games launch options for that.

13. Major Attitude

I am reinstalling Windows myself today. My assesment has not, and will not change. You have old hardware. Gaming rigs I used to swap out yearly. That said there are a ton of tweaks ANY gamer should do starting with free:

Windows Explorer, select C drive and properties. Disable indexing.
    Uninstall programs. Get the junk out. Tablet, Media Center and anything you don't use. Slim windows down.
    Use Tweaking.com Simple Tweaker. Run it, reboot: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Tweaking...._Formerly_Simple_Performance_Boost_d7176.html
    Clean your drive and defragment weekly. Get extra items out of startup. (CCleaner)
    Get a lightweight antivirus. AVG, Microsoft Security Essentials can be slow. I like Panda Cloud Antivirus.

Bad news:
    More ram.
    Better video card (might require a new power supply)

Sadly, once you buy ram and a GOOD gaming card (and power supply) you could top 500 bucks easily and still have an old dual core processor. If I am being honest, it's time for a new machine if your gaming away.

Lets see how that works.

14. Goat.Cheese

Goat.Cheese Private E-2

the os is barely 2 months used and im extremely pedantic about keeping junk out of it

I have both CCleaner and Advanced system care to do that.

Got avast free version, how good is it, i dont know

Well, ill have to address those at another time.

Thanks

Bottom-line it for me; So there is absolutely no way to get those games to run as good as they did on XP,without buying new hardware?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds