Is it now IMPOSSIBLE to avoid WGA and OGA to update WindowsXPPro?

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrammyJo, Jul 27, 2008.

1. GrammyJo

GrammyJo Private E-2

Hello.

I've avoided Windows Genuine Advantage and OGA to this point but am running into a lot of probs with Word now. I read that OGA wasn't even intended to be offered to the US and therefore I didn't feel I needed to pay attention to it. But today I read that as of January of this year it would be impossible to avoid doing so. Is that correct and MUST I now install it (them?) in order to update and or download from Microsoft? I really resent having to do this but if it's unavoidable at this point I need to know.

Also, if I were to actually change to Linux and stop using Windows would I run into many problems using my PC and the internet, emailing, etc? I've read so many times that folks really fed up with Microsoft (who isn't??) have switched systems and are VERY happy. But I'm by NO means an expert in these things and don't want to make PC life harder than it can sometimes be already!

Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated and THANK YOU in advance.
    :)

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Check out the Linux forum. I am sure there are enough threads there for you to make your decision.

I am not fed up with MS, but use Linux when I can, because its an OS for tweakers and tinkerers. If you don't fall in that category, you may not be happy with it. To each their own, you should try it out and make your own decision there.

As for WGA and OGA, I couldn't tell you. I have always had them installed, and never thought twice about it.

3. GrammyJo

GrammyJo Private E-2

Thanks for your reply adrynalyne. I'll do as suggested and check out the Linux forum. That's a good idea since I'm not really a 'tweaker' or 'tinker'.

I've avoided WGA and OGA because of the potential for more probs. from doing so. My PC came with my system installed and I can't even imagine WHY there would be any prob. with using GA. Yet it just seems I've read so much about peeps running INTO probs after installing them, like being told you don't have a valid system etc. when you do...things like that. And that's basically why I say I'm 'fed up' with Microsoft. It just seems like they CONSTANTLY want more and more 'control' over MY 'stuff', ya know? I mean it's NOT like we haven't paid for our systems already! It's just more 'big brother' trying to control my life. Or maybe it's just a classic case of GREED? What ever....I'm just tired of all of it. :(

I'm happy for ya though if you don't feel that way. ;)

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

It's a bit like trying to decline EULA's. If you want to use a program (or updates) then you don't have much / any choice. :cry

A saying I hate (but true), if you are legal then you don't have to worry about WGA. Bazza

5. GrammyJo

GrammyJo Private E-2

True.....true.....

Guess I'll bite the bullet tomorrow, install and go from there. At least Word shouldn't give me any more probs after that (oh PLEASE.... I HOPE so!!!). rolleyes

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds