Is it okay to leave my computer on~I have Rain 1.0 running to cool it.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PhoenixRises, Aug 25, 2005.

1. PhoenixRises

PhoenixRises Private E-2

I've been having a hard time getting my computer to come up and have to push the start button many times until I finally get the beep. My calendar date and time began messing up and I read that I probably need a battery for my mother board but now with the computer not starting easy I think I might need a new mother board???? Until I get one (I need help from a friend or at least the go-ahead that that's what I should do)....I've been leaving my computer on and just disconnecting the dial-up. I have a cooling program called Rain 1.0 and I also put the regular house fan in front of it for now.....
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    :confused:

2. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Try replacing the battery, which is what it might be... If that doesnt fix it make sure theres no malware/virii on your computer. If that doesnt help it MAY be your motherboard.

The battery remembers the system time and date, etc in your BIOS. If it doesnt remember it in the BIOS your comp will always have a messed up time and possibly a hard time starting.

3. PhoenixRises

PhoenixRises Private E-2

Thanks I will do that and let you know how it goes. Appreciate your reply!

4. tentpeg

tentpeg Private E-2

Best thing is to solve your problem rather than trying to bodge a solution so try the battery first. As for keeping a pc on, there should be no trouble aslong as you haven't got an excessively high temperature reading. Most pc's are designed for continuous running anyway...its just costs a bit extra on you elec bill. Depending on your BIOS or monitoring program, it sworth looking for an option which turns off your pc if it overheats. thish way even if something goes wrong your pc should protect itself

5. PhoenixRises

PhoenixRises Private E-2

Did the battery charge itself? I left my computer on for 5 days~

Thanks for all the advice, it's very much appreciated. I had my computer on for about 5 days and put an extra house fan, those 17" floor kind, in front of the processor as an extra cooler. This morniing I found the screen frozen so I turned it off, unplugged it a little and then restarted it. Surprisingly the calendar and time didn't mess up and remained correct. Could I have charged the battery? I've never taken my computer apart, my friend built it for me from parts and he's very busy right now with a lot highere priorities so I'm trying to manage on my own until he has more time. I don't mind about a slightly bigger electric bill. Running the a/c more with this heat was the worst ever this year and my bill was about as I expected....not monumental.
    Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds