is it possible to figure out a password from the windows xp login screen?

Discussion in 'Software' started by iwantfreedom, Jul 8, 2004.

1. iwantfreedom

iwantfreedom Private E-2

see im having a problem..im a big computer person im on the computer a lot..but recently my parents noticed me being on the computer too much, and they thought they could be smart and they put a password on the log in screen of windows xp home. we went thru war...they first made two accounts one being theirs, admin, mine being limited..and both of the passwords i dont know..is there a way to figure out the password? i dont want to change it..or make a new account and then delete it..is there a way?

2. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

sorry, but you arnet going to find any help on this forum

3. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

for that specific problem, at least

4. micr0dv8

micr0dv8 Private First Class

There is a bootable linux cd out that copies the sam file over and allows you to overwrite it then copy it back. You can change the password. You could modify the script and have it save a copy of the sam and then copy it back but that is work.... Anyway I use it all the time to hack machines where users have lost or forgot the password. Another idea is knoppix. You can run knoppix linux from a cd. You can still configure it to connect to the net etc. so you could get some stuff done without changing anything. Plus you should really listen to your parents they have your best interest at heart...:):):)

5. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Looks they outsmarted you ;)

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Talk to your folks. There must be able to be a compromise. The path you are going down will only exacerbate the situation. Hope you come to a compromise. Let us know. Bazza

====

7. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Okay, my two cents worth: (I can't help myself).....

If you look hard, you will find the answer. You can crack the password if you work hard at doing that.

BUT Don't Hate your folks if you can help it. Its important to be honorable to them. Really.

I'm not some Dumb-&^% know-it-all fuddy-duddy, either. Family is important.
    No kidding. You'll see later!

Anyway, if you do succeed in cracking the password, maybe you should consider showing your folks what you did... I mean, to "show off" for them...

They may then say....

Hey, this guy can be successful at the techno-stuff, and we can let him use the puter more often.

Then, you may decide to learn code, to learn network protocols and stuff, see, a great time.

That way, if you "debrief" your folks soon after you do it, then it takes some of the "sting" out of the whole thing.

Then again, I could be wrong........
    I bet if you learn a few simple C programs... again, not hard to do at all, especially for a young person!
    Then, show the proggys to your folks. Even something simple, like:
    Calculate the area of this square.

Anything.
    Just show them some code that you wrote... then show them how you compile the code, and so forth.
    You must impress upon them that this is worthwhile for you to be on the computer, then maybe they will back you in it.

Just an idea. They will be more okay if you are not just "horsing around", but if you demonstrate that you are learning a skill....

Code!

Then you may find that coding is more fun than "horsing around" anyway...

:) :p :) :p :) :p :) :cool: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

8. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

WHAT!? hahahahahaha that would not help her situation AT ALL.

I think that you should dicuss this whole thing with your parents.
    And maybe change your attitude, or whatever. Show them you're a responsible teen. If you crack the code thats not going to prove anything to them. It will make them more worried. Which means more limitations. :)

9. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

Ugh... 3 minute edit rule....

EDIT: discuss

10. micr0dv8

Why did Socrates drink the hemlock? The same reason that he did, is the same reason you should honor your parents wishes.

Your parents have fed you, clothed you, tried to get you though your early years without any major damage to your body or scarring. They have tried to keep you well all so that you can have a good chance at life. They have lost sleep on your behalf. The most likely purchased your computer and pay the power bill to run it. Dang! there I go.... I didn't realize I was standing on a soap box... Anyway, getting into a windows box is easy. You need to decide if honoring your parents is more important than your own self gratification.

11. CaNoFzOo

CaNoFzOo Sergeant Major

That was a great way to put it. Kudos. :)

12. Robster12

Yes.
    Don't disrespect your parents, man, that is a Bad Thing.
    Code is a Good Thing.
    Learn some C code, and then you will make them proud of you, they will let you do the computer stuff more, maybe, and it will be all good.
    :p ;)

13. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Show them responsibility and they will give you freedom. Sneak around them and they will cut your legs out from under you again. If you expect your parents to treat you like an adult, act like one.Your parents will work with a mature son or daughter willing to settle this in an intelligent manner, do it your way and they will cut you off completely. Not what you wanted to hear? Get used to it unless you plan to die before you grow up.:(

14. micr0dv8

True! If my daughter came to me and said I am interested in computers and networking I think it is what I want to do .... I would say ohh ok... But If I knew she wanted to surf the internet, play video games non-stop for days, hang out in chat rooms or message boards :):):) or surf pr0n then I would say #$%% NO!!

Too much of anything can be bad. If you play computer games 24/7 and do not intereact with others you steadily approach dysfunction....

:)
    :)

15. Robster12

Yes, and end up here!
    :) :) :) :D :D

I like your sig, there, micr0dv8, you know code, huh?

BTW: You guys all know that this kid is never coming back to this board, don't you? He's off to get the first solution that he wanted. He wants to hear none of this kind of talk... :rolleyes:

But, I know that I am right.
    I must be getting old. :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds