Is it possible to fool an application into thinking you have less RAM?

Discussion in 'Software' started by hexagon, Apr 27, 2009.

1. hexagon

hexagon Private E-2

I have a program that won't run on a computer with more than 1GB of RAM, is it possible to fool this application into thinking I have less RAM? I have 2GB of RAM and it won't run, so I want to know if it's possible to run it without having to remove 1GB of RAM?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Are you certain that this program is compatible with your operating system - which is?

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Maybe setup a virtual machine, there you can dictate RAM settings, ect.

4. hexagon

hexagon Private E-2

Yes it worked before I added an extra GB of RAM, and it works on my laptop which has 1GB of RAM, I'm on XP.

5. Earthling

I have never heard of a program failing to run for this reason. More likely I would think is that the additional RAM is not identical to the original.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Programs will have listed minimum RAM requirements (and some times recommended). I too have never seen a program that specified a maximum amount of RAM required to install it.

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

What program is this?

8. hexagon

hexagon Private E-2

It's not that because I have uninstalled and reinstalled it.

9. Earthling

So how does that address the possibility that the two RAM modules are not identical?

10. hexagon

hexagon Private E-2

Oh right I misunderstood you I thought you meant the program might have stopped working after I added the additional RAM because the machine specs have changed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds