Is it possible to 'overclock' a hdd?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Omegamerc, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

I was wondering if its possible to make a HDD go faster then it says it can go IE make a 5400rpm hdd go 7200rpm or a 7200rpm go 10000rpm... and if so what do you need to cool the sucker down to prevent failure?

2. Genius Boy

Genius Boy The Examinator

I don't think that you can increase the spin rate of the drive.

You can, however, overclock your hard drive. The hard drive, like everything else in your computer, operates off the bus. As such, changing the FSB speed will modify the speed at which everything runs. You can overclock your HDD to the extent that you can transfer data to and from it faster. The limiting factor, however, is still likely to be the actual read/write speed of your drive, not the speed of the bus. So while you may overclock the drive, you probably won't get any speed boost.

3. longinus

longinus Private E-2

Though I agree with Genius Boy that you probably can't increase the spin rate, the issue would that as you spin the drive faster you might encounter issues with the accuracy of your read/write.

4. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Its posable to OC smaller seagate drives I have a 30 GB Im using now OCed..

I whouldent rely call it OCing Seagate Slows down the read right head and sells it as a slower drive ( My theiry ) but I simply shorted a resister and voala faster seek times ;)
    The drive wont take a OS for some resion ( prolly dirty data ) but i did get 20+ MBs faster transfer rates..... Im using it to store my videos and MP3s now .............

Last edited: Apr 16, 2004

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds