Is it possible to save a youtube video file the hard drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mcduke, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I saw acouple of instructable videos on youtube I'd like to save to my hard drive. Can that be done?

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

This is not legal. Youtube are currently taking legal action against this type of activity and those who attempt to create software apps that allow you to do this.

MajorGeeks.com does not provide advice that allows the law to be compromised :)

3. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

4. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

Wow, didn't realize it was illegal. Sorry.

5. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Real Player version 11 has a web video download feature that saves these videos to your pc. If the video being viewed is recordable, a banner will appear indicating this, and the recording will typically be a .ivr file. I disagree that it's illegal, otherwise Real Networks wouldn't be providing this capability.

6. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

7. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Uh, excuse me. If a mod says no, it means no. If Youtube is serving cease and desists (and they have), we don't participate in discussions over it. Ok? This is to protect not only you, but Majorgeeks. If you want to disagree, fine. Take it to PMs, or bring it up to the owners and see if they agree with you. Public challenges to a moderator ruling are not the way to go.

This matter is dropped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds