Is It Safe To Travel With An External Hard Drive On An Airplane?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by superstar, Aug 29, 2007.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I'm traveling this Christmas which is right around the corner. I plan to buy this hard drive:

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=013765&cid=HD.342

I cannot take my mid tower computer with me since it's huge and I'm just going on vacation for a month. But I'll be staying in a room with a top of the line computer. So my idea is buy the hard drive on that url^^^ and copy/paste all of the content from my home computer hard drives to the external drive I will be buying [only data, no programs/windows xp]. I have work to do even during my vacation so I have to bring all the data from my home pc hard drives.

But first things first... I have no clue if your allowed to travel with an external hard drive on board a plane in todays world. I mean airline security has certainly stepped up after what happened in 2001. I watch the news all the time and see people in airports who have to throw away lighters, gum, baby food, shampoo, etc. So I wonder if they would think that an external drive is something it's not? I mean I wouldn't want them to scan it with some xray device or something that may give it static electricity and fry it. I also wouldn't want them to shake it to hear what's inside. And worst of all I wouldn't want them to confiscate it because that would mean I'd be leaving it and personal data behind. I rather stomp on it with my two feet than let them confiscate it. I also don't know if being at such a high altitude would fry or kill my hard drive.

I haven't traveled on board an airplane in 7 years so I'd like to know anyones experiences with this subject. I mean I remember watching movies and such with people using laptops on board... But that must have been pre 2001. If anyone can share their experiences or knowledge on this subject it will be greatly appreciated.

Remember I plan to carry it on board in my carry on handbag not in the huge luggage that gets tossed and turned in the plane ramps and put inside the planes lower deck [that would definitely ruin the drive].

Also share any bad experiences about traveling with computer hardware if you have any!!!

:wave

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Check with the airline or your customs service, but in UK its not an issue, I always take my WD portable HD and even my laptop with me, I take it in hand luggage and just tell customs officer what it is and open up the case for them if needed.

But like all PC rules of thumb, always have a backup of important info as you never know the day when it all goes belly up, but the X-ray machine has not caused issues with my laptop or portable devices, but UK vs USA x-rays maybe setup differently, which is why I advise checking.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds