Is it supposed to be this loud?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SaleenS7, Mar 22, 2005.

1. SaleenS7

SaleenS7 Private E-2

My computer has been running louder than usual. I don't think it's the heat because it's still in the 50's in the morning and it still hums louder than our microwave. Is it because it's in a cabnent and has little air?

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Probably not. I'd check that no wires were on fans or any of your drives have come loose. This might cause a rattle or humming noise.

3. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Also, fan(s) could be dying, had a 120mm fan that was on it's last legs and it sounded like a plane taking off when my computer booted up.

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

is it resonation in the cabnent ?? as mcadam88 says if fan on the way out is the extra wobble resonating through the cabnent (do you mean cabinet) thus causing a louder noise....

5. SaleenS7

SaleenS7 Private E-2

I meant cabinet. Sorry for the bad spelling. It sounds the same with the door open. The computer isn't that old. Only about 2-3 years.

6. Slipstream

Slipstream Private E-2

Two to three years is definitely enough time to wear out a fan, especially if it is a low end fan, these normally come in gateways or compaqs, and use sleeve bearings. go for a ball bearing fan, it will do you wonders.

7. SaleenS7

SaleenS7 Private E-2

Oh. Thank you.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

As well as the fans wearing out.. of which I have had a few.. sound like a 747 taking off for a few minutes then get better.

I would also check all the screws keeping the motherboard, HDs and CDs in place in your case to see if any are loose as they will produce a metallic type hum.

BTW.. the Saleen S7 a kick ass car nearly as good as the Koenigsegg CCR ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds