Is it true that it's better to install Windows XP from scratch tather than upgrde?

Discussion in 'Software' started by nadsab, Mar 30, 2009.

1. nadsab

nadsab Private E-2

Hi,

I recently upgraded my OS from W2K to XP. Is it true that it's is better to re format the hard drive and install a full (non upgrade) version disk of XP, than run the upgrade disk?

I bought the retail box upgrade disk because of the cost savings compared to the full version disk.

It true, can I do (or do I need to) do anything as far as "clean up" is concerned? Such as install one of the speciailty "clean up" applications which rids the hard drive of any leftover or conflicting Windows 2000 drivers, registry entries, etc?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Re: Is it true that it's better to install Windows XP from scratch tather than upgrde

If you had problems with a prior software os you were using then I guess it would be ok to start fresh , but if everything is ok and you just wanted to upgrade then to save money upgrade is the way to go.
    The drawback to upgrading if your computer crashed where you need to do a reformat you would need the prior version installed before you could use the upgrade. So if you you are upgrading keep the old software just in case you have a problem a few years down the line

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Re: Is it true that it's better to install Windows XP from scratch tather than upgrde

Never liked upgrading. Ever. Always went clean. You should always be backing up your data.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds