Is Kapersky Internet Security good? Seems to drag system

Discussion in 'Software' started by zapp, Oct 12, 2010.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

I'm dealing with an unhealthy machine that has Kapersky Internet Security suite, fully updated, with all bells and whistles "ON". The machine runs like .... well slowwwwwww. I turned off Kapersky entirely and it is much faster.

is this package a 'top choice' with you experts? I like AVAST Home personally and hate Norton, but in between I'm ambivalent....

recos please

2. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Moved to Software forum.

Yes Kaspersky is a very good Security Suite. I ran it for about a year with no issues. Is it up to date? Although, every computer is set up diffetent and what runs good on one machine may slow another one down.

That said. There are other very good free security solutions. You might have a look at the MajorGeeks Top Freeware Picks and see if you can find something that runs better on your computer.

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

k.
    thanks. it is up to date and doing its job, but it definitely taxes one a bit for its hard work.
    z

4. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Private E-2

Yes Kaspersky can tend to be a resource hog, my philosophy when defending my system is to use a combination of resource-light programs rather than load some huge beast onto my computer (Norton anyone?). I would suggest picking up a good free malware program such as Malware Bytes, I would also suggest downloading Avira and installing the latest Avira updates, and I would also make sure to have a killer firewall because if the firewall is awesome you have very little to be concerned about, I prefer ZoneAlarmPro.

I use this combination and rarely ever have a problem.

5. samtal

samtal Corporal

6. BlueHorseShoe

Thanks for the suggestion Samtal but I'll stick to free...that and I have never been one to use anything by Microsoft outside of their office software and OS.

7. Jordan Rivers

Jordan Rivers Private E-2

Both of the programs samtal suggested are "free" programs, and no matter what you think of Microsoft, their Security Essentials is a decent antivirus/antispyware/malware program with real time protection, and it`s hard to beat Comodo Firewall.

8. BlueHorseShoe

Fair enough Jordan, and Zone Alarm Pro is actually a firewall that requires payment but I pay anyway because to be honest I have NEVER found a better firewall.

9. avalanch

avalanch Private E-2

10. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

So Kaspersky comes in at 4, interesting. Never heard of that site or what not, i just know from experience, that free products aren't cutting it on there own, unless your layering for enough protection. I use Kaspersky myself, and despite the 2011 version seeming to be more demanding and resource hungery then 2010, it still does very well for me. Every year at the shop we do a random testing of several popular antivirus/firewall packages, and Kaspersky seems to always come out on top.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds