Is my CD-ROM Drive shot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RE2LeonS, Mar 6, 2007.

1. RE2LeonS

RE2LeonS Private First Class

I was watching a movie on my laptop eariler and all of a sudden it froze. It sometimes does this with some movies at certain points with in the movie or episode i'm watching and then it freezes the whole computer. So I held the power button down and let it start back up and I took the disc out and waited for awhile. Hours later I went to get dinner and thought i'd watch a movie, I start up the movie and all of a sudden it just starts studders and skipping on the screen w/ the volume skipping as well. I took the disk out, cleaned it and put it back in, same thing. I thought it may of been the software so I tired to use a different software, same problem. I blew into the CD drive and on the laser to make sure no dust was on it and I changed movies to make sure, same problem. So could you please tell me what is wrong with my CD-ROM drive?

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Buy/borrow one of those CD/DVD cleaning disks and try that in it.

E

3. RE2LeonS

RE2LeonS Private First Class

Okay well after just wasting 16 bucks on a CD Cleaner that doens't run like it says it does, the movies still skip

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

If it did not work properly, how do you know it is clean? I mentioned the optical drive cleaner because I had a computer that would lock up during winxp installation at different points. Cleaned the CD/DVD drive out, and, well, it is still up and folding on my desk as I type.

Beyond a dirty drive or screwed up drivers/device conflicts, I am out on this one. Beyond my knowledge. If it was my computer, RIP drive. I will be keeping an eye on the thread. Might learn something.

Good luck with your problem.

E

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

A dirty CD-ROM drive or other disc drive can cause read errors with CD discs.
    These read errors could cause software installation issues or issues while
    running the program.
    Here are some little pointers.
    1/ Have you got DMA enabled for the dvd drive
    2/ Is the dvd drive set to master.
    3/ It is often worth trying a different media player or other software program.

4/ Check for firmware updates for the CD or DVD drive
    If the DVD drive is connected directly to its own ide port on the motherboard, it can reduce this type of problem.
    Have you got the latest Graphics driver update?

Scratches on the underside of the discwould have to be fairly deep to cause skipping
    Have you tried the dvd in another laptop/computer?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds