Is my CPU, Case Temp Within Limits? Can I improve on this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by skiddyrow, Sep 5, 2005.

1. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

Hi,

My config

P4 3GHzHT Processor 630
    MSI 915G Neo2 Platinum Motherboard
    2x1GB Dual Channel Kingston DDR2 533MHz RAM
    Seagate 160GB SATA HDD
    Sony DRU 810A DVD-RW
    Sony FDD
    Antec Super Lanboy Case
    Antec Truepower 2 480W Power Supply
    LG1980U 19" LCD
    MSI Geforce 6600GT 128MB PCI Express

I just built this system and am a cooling newbie and would like your inputs. When I installed the system, the monitor showed temps of 60C average on the CPU and 70C average during gameplay. Today I have changed the CPU target temperature in the BIOS, from 50C to 40C, and now the temperatures have gone down quite a bit, stabilizing around 45C during normal use and 55C during gameplay. Case temperatures are around 45C

I have two 120mm case fans which comes with the Antec Superlanboy Case, which are being controlled by the Truepower2 smart connectors, which vary the speed based on detected case temperatures.

First question - are these temperatures within range? I live in southern India where the room temperature is in the 30-35C range, and around 25C airconditioned.

Second - After changing the BIOS settings for target CPU temp, the CPU fan now averages 4500RPM. Is this ok or will running it at this high speed constantly damage it in some way?

Third - Any suggestions to improve cooling efficiency are welcome, keeping in mind the hardware I'm currently using.

Thanks,

Skid

2. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

One intake fan in front, and one Exhaust fan in back is good... Keeps a good airflow...

You CAN get a new heatsink and fan, not too expensive and keep you cool quite a bit. My Idle temps are around 40C, game temps is Mid-high 40'sC... with a room temp of 30C....

So yours are about right. ALSO keep in mind my computer runs ALOT cooler than yours, because AMD's generally run cooler... and mines only 2.0GHz :)

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Try connecting your 120mm case fans to one of your Molex connectors.
    I dont like the smart fan connect, it reduceses the fan speed & CFM too much.
    I'll bet it lowers your case temp & cpu

I'd also recommend After Market CPU cooling, Thermalright XP-90/XP-90c or XP-120 HS
    http://www.jab-tech.com/catalog/Manufacturers_Thermalright_page_1_c_137.html
    I use a 92mm Panaflo H1B fan/xp-90 on My P4 3.0, my Idel temp 30c, max cpu temp in the low 40s ( stock cpu & mem speeds)

Save a couple Bucks get the OEM, ya get the same great product, even thermal paste but I'd order & use AS5 instead:
    http://www.jab-tech.com/catalog/Thermalright_XP90__OEM_p_2921.html

The PC in my sig (AMD) OCed 250+ at 2.4Ghz, Using another great Thermalright HS, SI-97a with Panaflo H1B92mm fan, Idel 29-30c Max temp at 35-36c (stock is 133fsb at 2Ghz)

4. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the prompt reply and I will be looking at some of the aftermarket cpu coolers that you have mentioned. I will be trying out the switching of the fan connectors to the molex connectors later today and will post the results.

On the second point I mentioned - is the fan RPM too high or is that ok?

Thanks again,

Skid

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I dont think you need to worry about your cpu fan speed, I think my stock P4 cpu fan on high was 4500rpm, I ran stock fan at high speed for several months.
    Dont worry if your CPU fans fails, probably only Toast your CPU "LOL"

Ive seen on aftermarket CPU fans where on some the fastest fan speed didnt provide the lowest cpu temp, but a slower fan speed did.
    I'm sure that wont be the case on a stock fan.

Just want to add my previous post, those Panaflo fans are know for Quality & Quiet, on my P4 rig the Panaflo is Quieter than the stock & pushes twice the CFM of air.

6. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

ASUS,

Thanks for the info - very useful!

Cheers

Skid

7. skiddyrow

skiddyrow Private E-2

I've now connected the case fan connectors to the molex connectors and it seems to make a huge difference. Starting temps around 35C for CPU and case and both are stabilizing around 40C. CPU fan speeds also have dropped to around 3200RPM. yay! a happy ending...thanks for your help.

8. Sarge9686

Sarge9686 Private E-2

Change in the bios the cpu target temp. ? can you do that ?
    so maybe thats my problem .. cause my CPU temp. is 43-47 idle .. 47-65 with firefox and winamp .. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds