Is my CPU or MOBO toast?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pmanning1969, Jun 29, 2006.

1. pmanning1969

pmanning1969 Private First Class

Last night my computer just shutdown for no reason. When I try to turn it back on, the fans light up for just a second but nothing more.

I turn the power off from the back and then once again, just a second of power and thats it.

I swapped power supplies, same thing. I unplugged all hardware, same thing. I took the CPU out and looked to see if it was burnt but it looks totally fine. Put the CPU back in, same blip for a second and thats it.

I have an ATHLON 64 3500 AND 939 pin Mobo.

I ronically, I tried putting together an old P4 that seems like it should be fine with a new MOBO and on an entirely new case, same exact problem as stated above.

Whats going on here guys?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Sure the "replacement" ps was okay?

3. pmanning1969

Well I am not a 100% sure but it did the exact thing that my Demon PSU did.

The thermal grease looks great and everything and even if it got to hot, wouldnmt it just shut down and then let you boot back up again?

Should I take the CMOS battery out and try that or swap video cards?

4. TimW

Seriously doubt its the battery .....usually indicative only if your system clock was showing the wrong time. Do any of the capacitors look buldged on top? Would recommend having both ps's tested to rule them out.

5. pmanning1969

Everything looks totally fine on the system. Who knows at this point but I wouldnt think the athlon 64 3500 would overheat once and thats it would it?

If it was my PSU, wouldnt it be gradual or smell of smoke etc..?

6. TimW

Power supply does not ness. give warnings ...overheating usually will not be a death knell .....400 watt ps @40.00 ....can you borrow a known woking ps?

7. pmanning1969

O.k., here is what I did. I took the Demon PSU 580watt and plugged it into the only computer running at this time, a Pentium3 1.0 ghrtz.

I plugged it into the MOBO of the P3 and the Demon PSU instantly fired up with the fan etc.. and then after 5 seconds stopped. I did not want to try it again.

Did it stop because its simply too much wattage for the P3? or did it stop because this is the actual culprit?

8. TimW

Because it's the actual culprit!!! Get another as well as a spare (always keep at least one spare lying around.):) :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds