Is my external hard drive dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barryo, Sep 2, 2009.

1. barryo

barryo Private E-2

I have a 2.5" external hard drive for data storage; now when I try to use it I am asked if I would like to format the disk; is there any way to recover the data?

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hey barryo welcome to majorgeeks.... First off..... yes you can recover the Data :)

There are a few ways to do so, but first a nice simple and safe one.....

Have you got an Ubuntu disc? ..... if not download the ISO and burn one ... www.ubuntu.com

Then boot the disc and locate the option at the top of the desktop called "Places" select that and you should see the hard drive listed in ther, and you should be able to copy or move them wherever you want.

If you have any issues just post i will be on here all night now so you are not alone :D

Q

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds