Is my mobo fried?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rgdixon, Jan 28, 2006.

1. rgdixon

rgdixon Private E-2

Have a home-built (1st time) pc been running fine for 2+ years. (2.4G Pent4, Albatron 865PEProII mobo, GForce5500, 1GB RAM, running XP Home Ed.)

Got BSOD today. Rebooted, ran for a while, then BSOD again. Doing digital video editing, so it's working pretty hard.

Eventually shut down, and on reboot said "the following file is missing or corrupt: windows\system32\config\system"

Figured I'd use XP disk to repair, but it kept shutting down.

Now is shutting down after 2-3 minutes of operation. Suspect overheating.
    Bios states system temp is 82+ F and CPU temp is 200+ F.
    CPU Fan runs 2700-2800 rpm
    Chassis Fan runs 2400-2500 rpm

I know the temps are high, but not sure if I trust the readings. Can't update bios since I don't have an operable floppy.

Cleaned out the fans, but suspect I ran them hot for too long. How can I tell if the CPU and/or mobo is fried?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

I wouldn't trust those readings, your problem could be many different things, I would suggest part swapping to see if taht fixes anything, start with RAM and hdd, have you noticed anyw ierd sounds from the pc? I don't think it is mobo failure, possible RAM or hdd, if that cpu temp is correct you probably did fry your cpu.

3. rgdixon

rgdixon Private E-2

Thanks for the reply.
    I replaced the hdd with a new one, but can't get it installed due to the shutdown. I believe this isolates software as a possible cause (minus potential BIOS problem) since any potential problems with the original hdd aren't entering the system.

Is there any way to test the cpu to see if its done-for?

I will swap out ram today to see if that works.

Thanks.

4. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

the only way to test the cpu would be to put it in a working computer or put a different cpu in your computer, cpu would probably be the last thing to try unless it is convenient. if you can get your computer working long enough download everest and post the log here.

5. rgdixon

rgdixon Private E-2

I haven't had a chance to pick up some new memory yet.

figured out a way to update BIOS from cd
    temp readings are the same (cpu at 210 F)
    Still don't trust the readings.

Got into msdos on new hdd
    seemed to be running ok, so started XP install
    quit after 6 min

Gave me a PFN_List_Corrupt

I think this means my RAM needs replacing (as you said).
    Once I do that, I will install XP (if I can) and then everest.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds