Is my repeater functioning correctly?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cronoisme, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Cronoisme

Cronoisme Private First Class

I was wondering if my repeater is functioning correctly. I have a linksys router and the repeater its self is a linksys. I have two laptops and my one lap top shows that im at 100 percent when im next to the repeater. But the other laptop says its only at 50 percent. The percentage also fluctuates on both laptops as well. If im sitting right next to the repeater shouldn't it be at 100 or at least close to 100 percent?

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

What is telling you these percentages? 50 and 100% of what?

Do you see any performance problems? Note a repeater is typically used to extend usable range of the wireless network. Can you still operate at the same distances?

3. Cronoisme

Well to check my wifi signal I use buffalo client manager. It shows you like how strong the signal is that's why I was saying the percentages. And yeah the laptop still works fine it did extend my range. So I guess it is working properly. The only thing ive noticed is when i go into my garage the internet tends to die out. But it could be because of interference down there or something.

4. Digerati

The barriers between living areas and garages tend to be isolation barriers to prevent, or at least slow down a car fire spreading to the house. So distance and the number of walls, floors/ceilings, as well as their consistency, all affect reception. I do agree sitting right next to the WAP (wireless access point - typically a wireless router) I would expect it to be closer to 100 than 50. So that seems a bit odd. But at the same time, RF propagation is never uniform or truly "omni". Is the useful range for each computer roughly the same?

5. Cronoisme

You think if I put a repeater in the garage I will get a better signal?

6. Digerati

I doubt it. For a repeater to work well, it has to have a decent signal to begin with. But to that, while you need a good signal for good performance, a better signal does not automatically mean better performance.

7. Cronoisme

Yeah that makes sense. I dont need to have the laptop down there any way. Thanks for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds