Is my video card failing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by B3aR, Feb 11, 2011.

1. B3aR

B3aR Private E-2

Lately i've been having huge amount of problems with my custom built pc.
    Ram was dieing, psu died, now it seems my Video is dieing.

I removed what seemed to be the bad stick of ram, and bought a brand new psu. Everything was fine, till i got on this morning and saw this junk.
    I believe my card is dieing but i'm not 100% sure. Also, the drivers are up to date.
    After having the picture verfied it seems i'm the only one who can see the marks on the screen, print screen won't show them. I checked the monitor and it's fine (ran it on my xbox).
    But to explain there's probably 40-50 squiggly lines going horizontal, and sometimes will change the like 15 going vertical, but thick.
    Computer Specs:
    Vista 64bit
    q6600
    9800gx2
    xfx 850w
    8gb g.skill
    780i mobo
    120gb 10k hdd
    250gb 7200 hdd
    1tb external

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  2. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Private First Class

It definitely sounds like a bad video card.

Best way to find out is if you put in a known good card. One from a friend or someone you know that isn't having issues.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes, I'll second that. I'm no expert but the fact that the screenshot is clear yet the display is messed up indicates to me a bad card.

If you just changed the drivers you might try a different set. If BIOS is also displayed poorly then you know a bad card. Booting to a Linux CD would also verify the problem since it uses different drivers.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hmm, what's your house power like? Does it go out often or 'brown out', do you have grounded plugs,(three-prong)? Do you live in an old house? It's strange to get all those failures in such a relatively short time.:confused It shouldn't happen.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds