Is Norton worth the money for another year?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Texasbobby, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Texasbobby

Texasbobby Private E-2

I have a timing decision and issue to resolve with both my wife's and my mother's computers. Both have Norton SystemWorks 2004 and Norton Personal Firewall and each of these 4 components are coming up for "annual renewal" and the price seems awfully high. About $35 apiece for another year of updates. That's about $140 for the total dual annual renewal....yikes!

Here's my quandry......Are these Norton Products worth it? Or should I look at some other integrated suite or something else to replace them?

Hate to throw money at these "Norton Vultures", but I don't want my wife and mother both kicking my butt for being a cheapskate if somebody pulls a "Fallujah" on their computers.....know what I mean?

Help me preserve harmony in my family....please! :)

Thanks,

Texasbobby

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

absolutely not, in my opinion.

you can uninstall all norton and other firewall software, and install Avast! 4 home edition (register for free at www.avast.com , they email you a product license key)

and use either Zone Alarm Free (good for novice users who dont know what things to accept or deny), or Kerio Personal Firewall which has a free limited version (plenty of protection) which is good for mid range to advanced users, as it lets you choose each process it blocks through an interactive learning mode.

for FREE, you can have protection SUPERIOR to Norton. It may take a little initial effort, but both products self update, and are great and easy to use.

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

DITO!
    I agree 100%

4. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

Another vote for getting rid of Norton and trying something else -something free if you want.

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

6. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

I don't beleive it was worth the money for the first year. There sre entirely too many programs that serve the same function, don't cost anything & in alot of cases, do a better job.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You can get viruses for free, why pay for Norton?

:D :D

Yes, I meant to say virus ;)

8. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

Norton is bloatware.

9. Texasbobby

Texasbobby Private E-2

That's funny! I appreciate the good humor and the great advice from all of you. It's great to have friends who'll pitch in to keep my wife and mom from strangling me!

I'll follow up on the sites you referred me to.....I won't be giving those buzzards from Norton one thin dime more than they've already squeezed out of me.

Again, this is a great site filled with knowledgeable, helpful people and I appreciate all the help I get here.

Thank you,

Texasbobby

10. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I use an old version of Norton Utilities and use WinDoctor, Norton Protected recycle bin and Speeddisk very regularly.(W98SE). I haven't used a later version so don't know if you can keep using these 3 without paying for renewals (of the Anti Virus section only?). I like SystemWorks for these 3 but do not use the AV. I use Avast for this.

Avast download http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1968.html

You have to register and receive a product key to activate this but this is no big deal.

Just another angle to consider. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds