Is something wrong with my hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by salman_500, May 1, 2009.

1. salman_500

salman_500 Private E-2

hey all
    firstly, here are my computer specifications

XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi
    CoolerMaster extreme Power Duo 600W
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 Ghz
    nVidia GeForce GTX 260
    Corsair DDRII 2Gb 800 DHX
    Corsair DDRII 1Gbx2 800 DHX

I think there's something wrong with my RAM.
    At the time of the build, i was having trouble with the motherboard detecting the rams, had to try a few combinations before the screen showed 4Gb.

Consider me a noob and guide me please.
    Are there any tests i can do which can tell me if something really is messed up?

I opened up CPU-Z, and checked the memory tab, the size was 4096Mb and DRAM Frequency was giving a 400Mhz reading
    Shouldn't it be 800?

I also ran the WinRAR Benchmark and Hardware Test for a few minutes, the highest i got in that time was ~950 Kb/s, but considering my computer specs, it should be WAY more. Right?

Help please.

2. salman_500

salman_500 Private E-2

yea i know, its a 64bit
    sorry didnt mention that before

3. salman_500

salman_500 Private E-2

ok im convinced somethings messed up =S
    i carried out a 3DMARK Vantage test:

[​IMG]

Another pc of the same specs scored more than twice as much as i did =S

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

400 is probably right, and just taken before any "doublers" were applied. If your CPU frequency is right, then your RAM is fine - especially since it says 4096.

What does CPUz say on the CPU tab under clocks?

5. salman_500

salman_500 Private E-2

[​IMG]
    the core speed jumps to 2666 for a second at times =/

another thing thats got me worried:

[​IMG]

thats my vista with just these things running:

[​IMG]

=/

6. Digerati

It should be reading ~2830 and stay right around there. The good news is you are not likely to overheat your CPU as it looks like you are underclocking. If me, I would start by resetting the BIOS - see your manual for instructions and be sure to boot immediately into the BIOS Setup Menu, set data and time, verify drives, then "Save and Exit".

As for your other worry - what exactly are you worried about? The only that I see that caused me concern is the huge amount of memory Firefox is using.

7. salman_500

salman_500 Private E-2

Is it normal that the core speed has dropped down? because i've never tweaked the bios settings. Or it was that way from the first day, i just never noticed.

what exactly do i have to do to fix this?
    and is it dangerous? as in do i need to take any precautions and all?

I'm worried about this:
    [​IMG]

see my RAM score?

8. salman_500

salman_500 Private E-2

i noticed that when im running a task, the core speed goes up to ~2666 and idles there until the process is over, and the multiplier gets to x8

I ran SpeedFan, and its showing all the temperatures to be higher than the recommended
    i opened the chassis (CoolerMaster CM690) and my GPU is literally burning =/

i've got too many issues =p

9. Digerati

What are they? If your speeds are toggling down because your system is running too hot, that's not good.

GPUs do run hotter than CPUs - but that should not affect your CPU speeds.

10. salman_500

salman_500 Private E-2

:-o:-o:-o:-o:-o:-o:-o

[​IMG]

11. salman_500

salman_500 Private E-2

umm
    still there?

12. Digerati

Sorry - I did not get notice of your last reply. The only temp that scares me you your System temp of 76°C. You don't normally see the System higher than the CPU. Does you motherboard have a fan for the chipset?

13. salman_500

salman_500 Private E-2

yeaa, its a nvidia 780i
    theres a fan and some cooling metal all over it =p

14. Digerati

Looking at your CPUz screen shot, it seems your multiplier is set to 6.0. 6.0 x 333.4 = 2000.4. It would seem your multiplier should be set to 8.5 as 8.5 x 333.4 = 2833.9 which where you should be. You might want to see if XFX has a newer BIOSfor that board.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds