Is tape backup really my best option??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Savethetrees01, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Savethetrees01

Savethetrees01 Private E-2

My techie neighbor always raving about how tape backup is the way to go for data storage. But since I am not really the most “tech friendly” person, I do not know if this is too over my head to practically use.

I have a lot of videos stored on my computer that I do not want to lose. He thinks that I have to do tape backup if I am to store them all in one place. Isn’t there another way?

I heard that tape disk backup could be a solution if I can figure it out.

Or the one I find most appealing: server backup online

A family is a unit composed not only of children but of men, women, an occasional animal, and the common cold. - Ogden Nash

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

well, of course, you could burn video files to a DVD if you have a DVD burner. If DVD's would be cumbersome because you have a very large volume of files, I would go with an external hard drive.

I think your neighbor has a preference for tape because of past experience with it. But, tape has declined in usage with the onslaught of recordable CDs, DVDs, flash drives, and external hard drives. And, I think you'd find an external hard drive much easier to use than a tape drive, and, I believe, much less expensive.

3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

yeah you dont need tape to back up your movies at all. anything usafvet said is definitely much less expensive than tape. i spent 6 grand on my tape backup system and symantec auto exec for backing up servers.

external hard drives are your friends.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Videos. Read original post, and a reply.

Bazza

===

5. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

yeah i went back to edit it bro.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Hard drives fail. Tape backups are expensive and fail. Burn the videos to a CD/DVD if you do not want to lose them. CD and DVDs fail but I think at a much slower rate than the other media types.

I rarely store very important files on my hard drive because if the drive fails, I can't get to my very important files. I grab my archived copy (on a Cd, floppy or thumb drive), go to another computer and I still have access to what I need.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds