is that safe to delete windows batch files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by slava11, Aug 14, 2010.

1. slava11

slava11 Private E-2

Hello!
    I have several questions
    1. I have two batch files on my desktop that were created by Microsoft Technician(while accessing my PC remotely). Technician couldn't fix the problem with failed update for Microsoft works 9. I had problem with installation of Security Update for Microsoft Works 9 (KB2092914). Now, the problem IS FIXED. i applied another update,http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9737449 which took care of the failed installation.
    My question, is that safe to delete windows batch files?There are two icons on my desktop. White background with an image of circular tool. 2.93kb size.

2.I have about 6 Restore points, unneeded, that were created when Technician was trying unsuccessfully to resolve the problem over the phone. They are taking too much space off my hard drive. i had 551 GB, now I am down to 548 GB.
    3. I also have a issue with an Update Software or software manager by Copyright (C) 1997-2008 Acresso Software Inc. and/or InstallShield Co. Inc.. This is program for updating software, came pre-installed on my PC. I clicked on it and it asks me to insert CD of Roxio Burner . Apparently, the program detected new update for Roxio? I am not sure.
    I hope you can help me!
    thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes very safe to delete the batch files, but you can just copy and paste them into a folder in your Documents folder just in case you may need them again for a similar issue, I tend to save any fixes into a folder of fixes I have for various tasks and issues.

As for restore points yes you can delete all bar the last good known one can do this from Disk Cleanup (just right click any blank space in your C: drive folder and choose Properties then Disk Cleanup or click Start > Run and type cleanmgr and hit enter) and click in Windows Vista/Win7 Cleanup system files and then More Options then Cleanup, or in Windows XP then just click More Options and Cleanup on System Restore.

But do tell us your Windows version and Service Pack as it helps to give your the steps to fix issues, as my above is a guess knowing the routes to multiple Windows versions, but its not an exact science to guess.

On Roxio, I dont know to be honest, but it maybe that the pre-installed version wont update from Roxio direct vai the app, so check on the Roxio page for your version of Roxio burning software for a downloadable update, ROXIO HERE

3. slava11

slava11 Private E-2

I am on windows 7 Home premium. 64 bit
    sp3 I guess.
    Regarding Roxio--do i really need to update it? I am ok with what I have.

4. DavidGP

Hi

Cheers, your on RTM for Windows 7 as no Service Packs are released as yet for that Windows version.

let us know how the original info I posted to help you works out, also use the likes of CCleaner to get rid of junk files/temps etc

5. slava11

slava11 Private E-2

What's RTM?
    and Regarding Roxio--do i really need to update it? I am ok with what I have.

6. DavidGP

Hi

RTM is Release To Manufacturing which in Microsoft speak is the first release of a Windows version, and as Windows 7 does not yet have a service pack you like me have the initial release which is classed as RTM.

As for Roxio, NO, if its working ok for you then no need to update.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds