Is there a noticeable difference between 1.5 GHz and 1.6 GHz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vanguard, Aug 21, 2005.

1. vanguard

vanguard Private E-2

im planning on getting a hp pavillion notebook series 1000 but it has a CPU of 1.5 GHz (Celeron M 370). Normally i wouldn't care so much, but my desktop computer right now has a CPU of 2.00 GHz, and it goes pretty damn slow. so im wondering whether i should have a hp pc custom built from scratch in order to get a CPU (Pentium M 725 or higher), or does increasing the GHz from 1.50 to 1.60 really matter all that much, i mean worth for an extra 50 bucks and a week of waiting?

i would also like to know the gigahertz of CPUs you guys use most often. please help me on this. thanks.

2. vanguard

vanguard Private E-2

also, can you guys tell me which video card is better: the Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 900 - Pentium or Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 900 - Celeron ?

3. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Pentium graphics accellerator is better :confused: (i think?) Anyway im running an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ which runs at 1.917 GHz now if i wanted to make it run faster, i can overclock it so it runs at 2.3GHz but it generates more heat and isnt as stable since its hotter. I use my computer for gaming mostly (look at my signature for my computer specs). Also if you want, we can help you find parts for a computer and you can build it yourself. It sounds terrifying but its extremely simple. I was 7 when i built my first comp, i was 13 when i built the one im on right now (15 now) and this is my gaming comp. There are parts retailers everywhere with extremely low prices on their parts.

Also, whats your computer going to be used mainly for? Gaming? College? College/Gaming? Home? or anything else i didnt mention? hehehehe because the intel graphics accellerator wont run newer games like BattleField 2 or FEAR or Doom 3.

4. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

if i was to by a notebook i would def go with the pentium m over the celeron you will certainly notice the difference there. As far as 1.5 to 1.6 ghz if they are the same class chip you will not be able to tell the difference , but a celeron vs a pentium you willl

5. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

I use an mobile 2500 overclocked to 2.129 and a athlon 2700(2.167ghz) stock and a pentium 2.66 stock

6. sleepygamer213

Haha whoops forgot it was a notebook, anyway, looks like 2 of us are on late night rolls... Yea DONT get a celeron, P4 or Intel D or Centrino are good, although they are not the cheapest in the bunch. (sure ya dont wanna desktop??? :D )

7. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

CPU speed is just one of the many things that can slow a system down .....Ram size/speed, hard drive speed, video card ram size/speed, video core speed, even down to what sound card your using can effect performance....Whan it comes to making a system faster adding ram is normaly the best bet ( if you have less then 512MB )....and down to your question no you wont be able to tell the dif..

8. sleepygamer213

Yea the two things you want are a cpu at at least 2.0GHz and at least 512MB of ram... HOW COME SO MANY PEOPLE ARE UP THIS LATE??? ITS 11:50PM!!!!( in CA)

9. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

1:51 here TN cannot sleep

10. sleepygamer213

Well, Im gonna go hit the hay :p Peace all.

Good luck with your new notebook.... I hear Sav-Ons is selling them for $0.99 (is that how you spell it? i go there only for my meds when im sick)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds