Is there a paid tech support service really worth subscribing to?

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptualclarity, Dec 23, 2013.

1. I haven't been too impressed with GeekBuddy. A guy on it who dealt with me wanted me to get rid of all my programs that he wasn't familiar with, including Kingsoft PC Doctor. (That program gives me a very neat little bar that shows percentages for CPU and memory usage and shows you the most demanding programs on both categories if you hover the cursor over it.) He came across as arrogant and abrasive.

2. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Hey, you can do everything they do. First, ask yourself a bunch of questions about your problem, then answer them. Sit back and pretend you're on hold for 5-10 minutes, then ask yourself the very same questions. Hold for 5 minutes then open and close a bunch of control panel applets and root around in the control panel for a while. Hold for another 10 minutes and finally, decide that the only solution to your problem is to reformat your drive and reinstall Windows. Piece of cake.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Personally no, but then I may know a bit more than the average PC user, however anyone can learn how to troubleshoot a PC.

Each issue has its own rule of thumb method of finding the fault in a step by step way, you will find many questions on the forum, that have had some post some really good step by steps to follow on many given issues, be they software, drivers or hardware, each just has a slightly different way to attack the problem.

You will these days find a huge array of support online, not only on forums like Majorgeeks, but at the original makers of the OS, software, drivers, hardware etc. All you need to do is work out what item is affected, do you have error messages or codes and do a little research and read a few topics on the issue, to allow you to weed out the not so great suggestions from the plausible ones.

If you have a current issue, why not (if not already) start a new thread and post the question, and add as much info as possible (screenshots are always good if it shows an error) Windows version and service pack, hardware or software affected and its version, the error message if you gain one.

What have you already done to try and fix the issue, have you booted into safe mode (always a quick test if Windows seems affected as this loads Windows without 3rd party startup apps) uninstalled and re-installed the app.

If hardware have you unplugged the device, if possible and re-plugged, re-installed latest driver. Tested a spare hardware device, so if a graphic card was the error, test a spare or borrow a graphic card to test as this will help narrow down the cause, as what you first thought was the cause may not be.

Basically its all about some logical degrees of testing what a fault could be. Plus great way to learn about PCs.

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Conceptualclarity, if there was then you wouldn't be asking us, LOL. Seriously, I agree with the other answers given.

5. JonnyBB878

JonnyBB878 Private E-2

Short answer: No

Long Answer: No, paid tech support usually isn't any better (if not worse) than the help you can get on forums such as these.

Don't waste your money on paid tech support services.

6. Thanks. I think you're right. I had an experience where I got on with GeekBuddy but didn't go to the point of paying them. All the guy wanted to do was butcher my software directory, including Kingsoft PC Doctor. It's a quite useful program, but he hadn't ever heard of it.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

In regards to the original question:

Yes, and no.

When I did Microsoft support:
    Yes, if you get a high-profile tech, such as I used to be.

No, if you got anybody else, which was usually the case ;)

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Private E-2

This might be a multi-part question.

I would like to say that I completely understand why most computer help forums suggest that one persons thread not be hijacked by another user. However, if I "completely understand" then there should be no need to ask anything. So I guess I do not "completely understand" I apologize for my taking a term and using it
    I have a similar question to the one originally posted by conceptual clarity back in December of last year. I read all of the answers in this thread and similar answers in different threads and although the answers I am reading help me in some ways, my question(s) are in my mind more specific to my experience.
    More than 6 months have pasted since the last answer was given here to this person who took the time to ask his question here to the MGS
    ( MajorGeekSquad )

Do I ask my specific question here or is this an example of a hijack?

I know the powers that are bestowed on those M-Geeks who got the rank can move a thread to the place that they best think is appropriate. I also know that those powers often include deleting the post and if it is deemed necessary the who post can be deleted.:cry It's not about the money that is often asked for by deeper more personal levels of help. However I agree with those people who say that they helpers want to start eliminating everything that they are not familiar with but may work for you the user while the so called expert wants to eliminate anything and everything that they do not know or understand.

In short my problem involves these warnings about "junk" files in my registry and other issues that are called troublesome because they do not load at start-up. Some of those programs I chose NOT to boot when the computer is first turned on.

In any event I want to do it the right way here. Tell me what is correct and most appreciated by these MajorGeeks who are here to help.

Much thanks and gratitude!

Kryp

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  9. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi

That was a long post for what I think you are asking, so if I don't answer your question, let me know.

I think the main two questions are:

No. When you have a question, you should always start your own thread. The main reason being that if it is an active thread (this one is old), it's not fair to the original poster because all it does is create confusion in the thread. Technical questions are typically very specific to one person's machine. The other reason is that you want people to read your question and help you. If you stick your question in a thread that someone else started, what generally happens is that if someone opens it, they will look at the first post, not yours. Also, more people are going to be likely to read your post if it was just started and there aren't many other posts in it.

Again, you should start your own thread in the Software forum (this forum) and describe your issue in detail, along with info about your machine.

Just for future reference, you can ask any questions regarding how to use Major Geeks forums in our Majorgeeks Welcome Center

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds