Is there a safe program that . . .

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denise_M, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

. . . identifies and backs up drivers and finds driver updates by scanning my computer to see what it has and what it needs?

I was just at the Microsoft Update site and one of the optional updates is for

I don't need this driver update because I turned off networking in Services. I don't know why Microsoft's scan didn't "see" that. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out why it would suggest this option.

I believe my drivers are all updated but I would like to make sure that they are, and I want to install new updates that a program finds and back up my drivers to a disk in case of a problem. Are there any good programs for this?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Would suggest you go to the manufacturer web site and click on downloads or support....some have an online scanner and all so show what drivers and updates are available for your model.:)

You can always download all the drivers to your desktop and then save them to a disc or a flash drive.

3. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

There's the nub. I have no idea what parts of my pc need a driver or the manufacturer of the parts. My pc was made for me. I know the model of my mobo, my DVD/CD R/RW and my printer, but that's about it. I was hoping that a program was out there that knew what to look for and recommend needed driver updates.

BTW, I went to the Microsoft Forum/Windows Updates. It seems that many people are having problems with installing the recommended updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

This is a URL that was posted at one of the Microsoft sites:

http://www.ik-cs.com/v2/got-a-virus.htm

Any opinions?

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I wouldn't worry about the mobo(other than chipset drivers) ...dvd and cd drives can/ may have firmware updates on their web sits ....and other than video cards or NIC cards .....if it ain't broke .....:)

First one is no way going to give you better info than MG's......second one might be helpful ....but then you'd just end up in the malware section to finish the job.

5. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

There's an app called WinRet that will back up all sorts of stuff, including drivers, and performs all kinds of other tasks as well. It's a free download, available right here, from'The Geeks' in the All-In-One section.....

hopperdave2000 :)

Try Everest (also a free download available here) to identify any hardware you may have installed.....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds