is there a way to install win98 programs on xp?

Discussion in 'Software' started by shellnbreeze, Aug 2, 2004.

1. shellnbreeze

shellnbreeze Private E-2

I thought I saw something on the net about there being a way that I can install my software that was win98 compatiable to my xp. When I upgraded to XP, I was a fool and didn't make sure that all my software was on my computer before upgrading. Now I have all this software from win95 and 98 that I can't install on my XP.
    Anyone know a way around this? I would hate to have to uninstall XP just to beable to have those programs again.
    If that is the only way I can do it....is it that difficult to put the XP back on the computer? I've installed and uninstalled 98 before and it didn't seem to be that big of a deal, but is it with XP?

I would appreciate any help on this.

2. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

You should be able to install the windows 98 software back onto your computer with XP. Most of the software from back then is compatible with todays XP. When you install things with XP it will tell you if its not compatible. It says it isn't then don't put it on there. Believe me, it can really mess things up. As for Windows 95, depending on what you have not a lot of stuff that old is compatible with xp.

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

You could trying running them in Win98 or Win95 Compatibility Mode. Right-click on the program icon and choose Properties. Then choose the Compatibility tab. Windows Help can explain it more.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds