is there free software to get music thats legal

Discussion in 'Software' started by red death68, Feb 24, 2009.

1. red death68

red death68 Command Sergeant Major

title says it all i want to get music for a mp3 i got for christmas but im dirt poor and my music collection is made up of what i can get people to give me that they dont want anymore or that i can barrow and burn

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

It's never legal to d/l copyrighted material. There are sites that are free....but legality is in question.

3. red death68

thats why i was asking

4. smilinggeek

smilinggeek Private E-2

Depends on your jurisdiction. In Canada, for instance, the fee they we pay for all blank media is currently (pending legislative changes) considered to allow downloading music for personal use only. So in Canada, music downloads for personal use (no sharing) are currently legal, as far as I know, because we've already paid for them. In other countries and jurisdictions, the rules will be different.

disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on television. Check with competent legal authorities before relying on this advice. Have a nice day.

5. red death68

lol im in USA if it helps i just thought my own lil world sounded better rofl

6. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Do you have internet radio?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  7. red death68

yes i have one that has a record option but the stations are crap so there aint much worth getting from it

i only kept it because it gets some japanese stations

8. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

9. red death68

ill look into that topic more tommarrow but i did glance at it

10. FighterJetMom

FighterJetMom Private First Class

11. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

http://news.aol.ca/article/Government-to-Drop-Copyright-Bomb/256218/

Thats no longer applies, it's now circumstancial and all up in the air again.
    You havn't been watching the news? Downloading in Canada is comming to an abrubt halt.
    The whole "It's legal to download but not upload" thing is being shutdown and the whole "Media is paid for" thing is being cleverly circumvented. It depends largely on where you get it, where THEY got it and whether or not you own the original media.
    I've been watching this unfold for the last 6 months or so, as of right now..laws are unclear, basically you can be fined but you can fight it...the winner?........depends on the judge.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds