Is this a deal?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2kflhr, Jan 21, 2005.

1. 2kflhr

2kflhr Private E-2

My old HP Pavillion 4785 crashed. I can buy a used lease off with the following and would like some opinions. I mainly use it for surfing, some digital storage from my camera, and some word processing.

Dell (w/90 day warranty)
    PIII, 800 MHz
    256 Ram
    10 GB hd
    c/d writer
    17" monitor
    W98
    keyboard, mouse
    modem

$259.00

upgrade to 60 GB hd is $75.00 (Should I go ahead and do this while I'm at it?)

Thanks for any input!

2. Doby

Doby Sergeant

I don't think that is a bad deal with everthing that is included, I would not however do the hd upgrade I would keep the 10g and if you need/when you need more space purchase another hd and slave it. This way you keep the 10g and you should be able to get a 80g for about the same price at newegg.

Rick

3. 2kflhr

2kflhr Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if threads like this were looked down on.

The upgrade would be an addition to the 10GB that's already there. He would just add 60GB more. I was wondering if should get it added on while he had it.

My son has a 128MB Ge-Force PCI VGC that he no longer uses and was thinking about getting him to install it while I was there.

I don't know squat about the workings of a computer. But would like to learn.

Thanks Again!

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

the way HDD prices are these days you could find a drive twice that size for approx.the same money(i bought a 120giger a year ago for 100$ .. and it wasn't even on sale) and just have your son install it

5. Doby

Doby Sergeant

No not at all, everone here loves to answer questions and solve problems as time permits. If you want to learn you have taken a good first step by joining Major Geeks so hang around and read some treads.

Upgrades such as adding drives and cards are fairly easy and a good way to learn the inter workings of a pc, lets call it starting with the small stuff. You could goto Western Digital or Maxtor's website and into there support and read manuals about how to install HD's then decide if you what to tackle it. You probly won't save any money but it will be a learning experiance.

Also search MG's there are many howto articals about different things (also called sticky's)

If you want to do it your self you would have to find the cd that came with the card, you need this to install the drivers or you could goto the manufacturers website and download them. You should go to Dell's web site and shearch for a manual for your model and read how they recomend installing a new video card, they main thing here is how to disable the onboard or existing video card.

I don't mean to make it sound difficult cause it really ain't I just want you to realize that when starting out you have to do some work/research to get acquainted. Once you learn to install cards,drives,ram the easy stuff you can then move on to build your own pc.

When you have questions ask I am sure someone her will be glad to help.

Rick

6. 2kflhr

2kflhr Private E-2

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I can tackle the r&r's, it's the software issues that get me. I need to get me a book.

7. 2kflhr

2kflhr Private E-2

Turns out the seller said the Hd installed had some bad clusters so he put a 20GB in it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds