Is this a decent deal for a computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andrewwhatever, Sep 12, 2005.

1. andrewwhatever

andrewwhatever Private E-2

Dell 500 Mhz PC w 512MB Ram 13.5 GB HD

40 bucks

My dads company is getting rid of some old stuff. Does that sound like a good deal? How does it compare with the low-end (read: cheap, I'm a poor bastard) stuff that is out now?

2. Ravenspeed

Ravenspeed Private E-2

40 quid for a working system isnt to be sniffed at matey.

it isnt going to play any state of the art games but appears to be capable of internet and other all the office type stuff.

3. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Sounds like a good deal. You can have alot of fun with it. It has alot of ram for an older PC... you could almost get your money back selling that on eBay if things don't work out.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It doesn't compare to whats out for low end right now, at all.

Still, its worth more than 40 bucks, so I'd say go for it.

Windows 2000 should run pretty good on a machine with those specs.

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Are you getting a monitor with that?If not try and get one thrown in to sweeten the deal and see if you can get your hands on a windows 98 disk layin around with a product key :D

6. andrewwhatever

andrewwhatever Private E-2

Well I went for it so we will see how good it is.

Do you think I could squeeze XP onto it? Some guy at work told my dad it could probably run XP.

I didn't even bother asking for monitors as we have about 5 of them laying around here all in nice working condition. We are the cheap white trash family that tends to pick up all the old computer stuff from our richer relatives when they buy new stuff. But no one has offered anything recently and all our computers but this one died off so I figured 40 bucks for a computer would work out.

For a computer nerd I don't actually use my computer for much besides Internet. Actually I think our hard drive right now is only like 2 gigs and only half full, so 13 should be more than I would ever need. I'm a big console gamer but never got into PC gaming, I prefer to get off my computer when I game and just relax on my couch with my wireless controller and 27 inch TV.

Off-topic, is there any free, legal way to get Access? I had it on an olddddddd computer but that one is long dead. I run a site with an Access database and haven't been able to do much with it lately, not having Access.

7. problemswithvaio

problemswithvaio Corporal

I would take that in a second, you could put some older games on there and if you hae a router and LAN or something or just play around with it and have some fun ;)

8. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

XP should run fine. Recommended System Levels are:
    P2 300Mhz
    128 MB Ram
    and about 10 Gig.

(See That 70-270 Class is already payin off.)

9. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

XP should run ... assuming you turn off ALL the graphical bells and whistles, although I have a similar rig w/ 196MBs of RAm and win98 and it is a tad slugish, although I don't really do anything with it so it's not really tweaked or anything

10. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

The computer is a good deal. The memory alone like said is worth it alone. Xp wouldent run great on it though. I would recommend getting an extra hard drive for it. They are pretty cheap. You could use it for browsing web typing... It wont play any recent games.

11. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

XP isn't a good choice for your hardware.

Yes it would run, but Windows 98 SE is much better suited.

12. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

BTW, getting a faster hard drive isn't the answer as the system bus would only be ATA33 or at best, ATA66.

13. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Before I saw the price, I thought, for 50 bucks is all it worth, so go for it. Keep in mind, its great for web surfing, email and some applications, but multimedia (video) and gaming will be pretty close to useless except for the less graphically and memory intensive stuff. Windows XP should have a 700 mhz and 1 gig of ram and frankly, I wouldnt even put it on anything under a 1 gig or better.

14. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Just for comparison. This is being sold in the buy and sell are on this site
    Complete PC's:
    HP e-pc (small footprint PC) 700Mhz Celeron, 64MB of RAM, 8 GB HDD, on-board VGA, sound, USB, NIC. No floppy or optical drives. No PCI slots.....$75.00

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds