Is this a real error message??

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Dec 23, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Attached below is a shot of an error I'm getting on a laptop running Vista SP1 (I think it's SP1). Is this a real message? Or is it fake or "rogue"? If I click OK, the system restarts; if I click the "X" the system restarts. If I ignore it and drag it out of the way, I can use the system more-or-less normally....

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi DLB

Try entering scanreg.exe in the start search box and see if the reg checker pops up?

If not then run the normal malware checkers.

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

It shouldn't restart when you click the x to close out the window... that's odd. A quick trip to google seems too say it's legit, but I'd double-check just to make sure. Better safe than sorry, and all that. :)

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks for the input.... I typed scanreg.exe in the Search box and waited a bit and nothing popped up in the programs list.... so I'm gonna run some malware scans, but another weird thing is that the PC error out when trying to run Windows Update; it says "Cannot check for updates. Error 8024402F. Windows Update encountered an unknown error." I think this may be linked to this registry error and I'm researching it now....

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Just a hunch here, but have you tried running Ccleaner or Advance System Care (or something similar) on the registry to see what they find? After making a backup, of course.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds